Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 4dr lx(civic) and wanted to remove the ps system and switch in a used manual steering rack. I searched and found out the subframes are different for ps and manual racks. Are the only differences for the subframe the mounting points of the racks, or are there other parts needed to get the subframe to bolt to the car?
I plan on buying new tierod ends and boots for the used manual rack, are any other parts recommended for new purchace or used?
???I read something about a universal joint or u joint that is different for ps and manual????
Manual rack:

power rack:

:skull: I DON'T WANT A PS REMOVAL KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!1!!1!1!1!:skull:

·
Registered
787 Posts
there is a way to do it with just somehow connceting the fluid lines ...cause u can keep the power stearing rach u just have to make sure that there is a constant flow going through the whole system.....im sure u can go to any auto stor and get some braided line and connect then together with the accual pump or some of the existing lines if im wrong people please correct me

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If your doing tierods and boots you might as well pull the rack apart and inspect it and probebly regrease it while your there. The subframe should be pretty straight forward. I'd also replace the rack bushings with ES ones when you put the rack in.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
unbolt PS subframe with the rack still attached, drop it out, raise up the manual rack and subframe.....

yes, the U joint is different, you'll need the manual one, hopefully it's still attached to the manual rack. If not I think I have a spare for VERY cheap.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unbolt PS subframe with the rack still attached, drop it out, raise up the manual rack and subframe.....

yes, the U joint is different, you'll need the manual one, hopefully it's still attached to the manual rack. If not I think I have a spare for VERY cheap.
Thats exacty what i needed to know!! Your the only one who actually comprehended what i said!1 (ES bushing are only for ps, and I am replacing the whole rack and not reconnecting the lines!):bravo: :bravo: :TU: :D

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
I did exactly that to a buddy's Del Sol in Sept of 2005.

Bench pressed the subframes down and back up. If I recall correctly, you can get the MS rack back up and the 6 bolts started, yet still have room to mess with the u-joint for the steering.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I'm going to be switching my manual rack for a p/s rack, and will be using an electric P/S pump that can be switched on and off... (I want the P/S for AutoX)

Bone, do you know if the Acura Integra Subframe bolts into the EJ (94 Coupe) civic? I want the 2000 up Integra rack because it apparently has a faster ratio...

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Quafie, see them :)
THanks for the suggestion, I've already looked into the Quaife, but I want power steering for auto-x (plus I'm trying to get my GF into racing with me and she hates the manual rack at low speeds... Add in 215-40-16 hoosiers and steering is a bitch)
quaife only does the manual racks, and I believe that their ratio is close the Integra rack...
I know the Integra rack can bolt onto the civic subframe with a few mods, but I think it would be much easier to swap subframes than racks (provided the integra ones bolt up)

As for the power steering pump, I bought a Citroen Saxo Electric pump in Europe a few months ago. I will get a custom hose made and will have an on-off switch for the P/S pump in the cabin as I like the manual steering on the highway. Total weight gain of the system should be less than 15 lbs...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
As for the power steering pump, I bought a Citroen Saxo Electric pump in Europe a few months ago. I will get a custom hose made and will have an on-off switch for the P/S pump in the cabin as I like the manual steering on the highway. Total weight gain of the system should be less than 15 lbs...
make sure to do a how-to when you install that pump and on/off switch, sounds like a bad ass idea!

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
make sure to do a how-to when you install that pump and on/off switch, sounds like a bad ass idea!
Agreed, I would love to hear how that works out for you, gpny.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
who said the Quaife won't fit a power rack?????

Bet they say it doesn't fit a CRX rack either!!!!!!

Do some research......I've bet there is a Quaife PS rack running out there somewhere.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
who said the Quaife won't fit a power rack?????

somewhere.
I've read that the QSR was not for P/S on the Quaife site
http://www.quaifeamerica.com/suspension/suspension.htm
The QSR is a must for autocross, drifting, and track days.Designed to fit manual steering racks only. Not for power steering.

Haven't seen it on p/s tegs...
Besides, the integra rack is cheaper and has almost the same ratio...
PLEASE let me know if the subframes swap... That would make it so much easier... Thanks! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts