Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I am new to this sorry if I am doing this wrong but I was wondering where would you be able to get a steering rack for a 1991 honda civic ec8 was looking everywhere and can't seem to find one where I live (In Ireland) was wondering if you knew where I could find one that I cause ship to Ireland like a website or something

Thanks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,887 Posts
rockauto.com?
ebay.com?
amazon.com?
google.com?
1aauto.com?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a steering rack in the car but when you do a half turn on the steering wheel it bangs and nothing happens.so it's what connects the end of the column to the rack...you turn the steering wheel and and the wheels don't turn

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,148 Posts
Are you sure that the pinion is rotating when you turn the wheel and the U joint has not just been installed incorrectly? If the rack has been out, or the steering column has been removed previously, that seems the most likely culprit. It can be difficult to make sure the bolt lines up with the groove on the shaft, and if it's not lined up correctly the bolt cross threads and gives the impression that it's torqued without properly clamping the pinion and creating that clunk noise you're experiencing.

If you're confident that's not it though, there is an adjustment on the back of the rack that allows you to modify the backlash, but i think it is unlikely that this is the issue, and the factory adjustment is often optimal and has a factory compensation spring to self adjust for wear.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,525 Posts

·
5,887 Posts
the pinion. theres no rebuild kits, but you can still buy the rack

·
5,887 Posts
if you google rebuild kit for it, all that pops up is a bushing.....oh wait, I already posted links

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
1,148 Posts
So the rack isn't fixable?
That'll depend what's wrong with it. If you say that the pinion isn't currently attached to the rack (you pulled it out by hand) who knows what's wrong/missing/damaged. Could be fixable though, you'll need to take a proper look at it.

...also was just wondering about the d13b1 engine that I have in it I know its not very powerful but is it gonna be reliable?
If they're well serviced they'll last forever, same with any Honda motor. If it's been through 30 years of neglect, who knows.

But you can still buy the rack
Yeahhhh, don't think you can hey. If you can though, ima buy them up. The used ones are rediculously sort after here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.