Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
slowmotionmotorsports in columbus ohio is going to do this for me for $1700-$1800

install turbo,eveything oil lines, tapping oil pan , everything
give me hondata and install ecu
and give me a full tune session

is it worth it b.c i can save like 400 if i put the turbo on my self yes no

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Install it yourself. That way you gain knowledge. Otherwise, you won't know anything about what's "on" your car, only that something is "on" your car. Where does that leave you if something breaks? Dumb and looking for someone else to fix it because you don't know wtf is going on.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
My only question is where are they getting the parts from? They are probably selling you some of the same Ebay crap everone on here is so down on. It's back to the old, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Considering Autoworks get $2200 atleast for a quality kit...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i have to provide the turbo kit and or turbo parts

and i agree with the fact about knowing how to do something the only way to do it is to learn but i have never installed a turbo i have read alot about it googled the shit out of it but i would rather be safe then sorry

i know a guy that works for honda and has a really good knowledge about them he built his own car not tunned b18 in a civic hatch running 12.5 13's at the track with street tires the only thing is trying to get ahold of him to help out

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
so on top of you paying for a hmt kit itll be another 1700 for them to install and everything? not worth it. i would slowly buy all the parts you need and every extra goody you want, get the pan tapped by someone else if you can do it and install it all yourself. its really not that hard if you buy all correct parts. if you dont have the time i bet their are cheaper install rates out there, chipping and tuning will be 4/500 either way.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Well, I feel a little better. I though you meant that price incliding the kit. I would still save some money and do it myself. Of course I would also not use Hondata... But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
it actually seems reasonable to me, hondata s300 (which is what im assuming you mean when you say hondata) is 595 by itself.

so that leaves 1100 to install the turbo setup and to tune (usually 400 or so on its own), which isnt that bad at all. If you think you have the mechanical ability i would say to at least attempt to do it yourself but if youre unsure or cant live without your car for a few days or more...then you should consider taking it to a shop. However, like others have said, you wont learn a thing and will be basically up a creek if something goes wrong later.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it actually seems reasonable to me, hondata s300 (which is what im assuming you mean when you say hondata) is 595 by itself.

so that leaves 1100 to install the turbo setup and to tune (usually 400 or so on its own), which isnt that bad at all. If you think you have the mechanical ability i would say to at least attempt to do it yourself but if youre unsure or cant live without your car for a few days or more...then you should consider taking it to a shop. However, like others have said, you wont learn a thing and will be basically up a creek if something goes wrong later.
i think i will be able to handle it and i will be able to deal with out my car for a few days .... ill just this forum and people that know what they are doing help me out if need be ..... how safe would it be to drive drive a hour with the turbo on with like low boost if any at all to go get the ecu chipped and dyno'd??

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
might be easier to bolt up the kit, make sure it fits correct, and take it off to drive stock till you get to the tuner if you have NO management at all.

edit: or leave the stock injectors in and don't go into boost on the way there?

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
11,969 Posts
so on top of you paying for a hmt kit itll be another 1700 for them to install and everything? not worth it. i would slowly buy all the parts you need and every extra goody you want, get the pan tapped by someone else if you can do it and install it all yourself. its really not that hard if you buy all correct parts. if you dont have the time i bet their are cheaper install rates out there, chipping and tuning will be 4/500 either way.
'nuff said!

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
I do understand you anxiety about putting this on yourself I went through it too but once I started it was easy. If you are mechanically enclined at all then this should be fine for you to do yourself.You will feel good that you didnt pay someone to put your project together and plus we will help as much as we can if you get stumped on something.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
send out your obd1 ecu to get chipped with a basemap, then install that when you install the turbo kit. That way youll be able to drive to get tuned. The other option is to stay out of boost and just run stock injectors on the trip to the tuner.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
no i have to provide the turbo kit and or turbo parts

and i agree with the fact about knowing how to do something the only way to do it is to learn but i have never installed a turbo i have read alot about it googled the shit out of it but i would rather be safe then sorry

i know a guy that works for honda and has a really good knowledge about them he built his own car not tunned b18 in a civic hatch running 12.5 13's at the track with street tires the only thing is trying to get ahold of him to help out

corey knows his shit and they do GOOD work.Someone said it on another site though he is first and foremost a buisness man.

They do full installs including selling you the turbo kit like what your talking about for around 3-4k.I tried to see about them tuning my car but I'd rather have someone else do it after I street tune.first I was told they wouldnt tune crome.Then I was told they would but I need to have all my own stuff (besides the wideband).Then their like after you buy all that your about the price of a hondata system so you should just buy that.They like trying to sell you on more stuff.

I know alot of kids with their kits that mom or dad bought them.They do good work and good tuning but its pricey.They have a bunch of 4-600hp cars rolling around here that came from their shop.I have the same amount they charge for a full kit in my entire car (built motor/kit/electronics/1700 car)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts