Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So all my STD ACLs were within service limit via Plastigage on the crank and the Eagle rods...Hooray! But noticed something that jumped out at me that I for some reason overlooked previously.

This is the pitted journal and the "Green" bearing that was its mate. The pit doesn't go through to the other side, and isn't deep; it just caught me by surprise and thought that if anyone (beside my machine shop) would know :TU: or :TD:. Thx!

BTW, can I just say carbide rotary bits are EXPENSIVE! Did block notching too today...you can slightly make it out in the pics there. One problem, I don't have std pistons to attach to the Eagles so I just did what I though was good. We'll see!

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
that sucks! I'm going to be hella fucking careful with my motor when puting it together. I dunno what the hell you'd use to get rid of that. The only thing that comes to mind is crocus cloth. curious what everyone recommends

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
I had a old Supra motor with a pit like that on 2 main journals. Machine shop welded it, line bored and matched up new main bearings

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
I had a old Supra motor with a pit like that on 2 main journals. Machine shop welded it, line bored and matched up new main bearings
That's the course of action I was going to suggest.

Don't fuck with the rotating assembly and it's glorious bearings!

·
Registered
31 Posts
As long as there isn't any upward interference with the bearing surface you should be ok. It is just more than likely a casting flaw. What does the bearing look like? That is the true tell all, if it looks normal than the only thing there would be to worry about would be a block failure or cracking from it. How long has this been running? And are there any cracks in the area right now?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I should have stated what the bearing and the remainder of the bearings looked like. They all had normal wear, no signs of shifting, and of course none of them spun. There are no cracks or signs of spreading, but I'll make sure my machinist gives me his opinion before any work is done to it. Can't believe I picked up this short block with a perfect crank for $50!

Oh, I was just told the other day a perfect, cheap way of "polishing" the crank journals. Get thin nylon rope and wrap it around the journal 3 times; then using using a see-saw pull-pull action should polish them right up. Anyone doe this or heard of this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I honestly don't think that's gonna be a problem..it's probably been like that since it came new from honda probably just some kind of casting flaw....X2 on the block notching looks like you're gonna need a little more....

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Yep, I'm going to break out the equip again for a bit more material. I as well believe it's a casting flaw; and seeing that bearing as it sits doesn't scare me now, but always a good idea to check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts