Honda D Series Forum banner

Starting up my hpde ef build

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  D16Y6 
#1 · (Edited)
Updates will be slow right now since there's not a lot of money finding it's way to my pockets but I figured I could go ahead and start getting some things ready and start a build thread.

The plan as of right now is to do a high comp d15b7 on e85 but we'll see I may end up changing my mind. Now this is pretty much the ultimate goal by the end of next years racing season but I'll have it on the track before everything on the list is done so I can learn and make adjustments to the list as needed.

90 civic std hatch
Engine: d15b7
- deck the block .03, .04 off the head
- NPR 76mm pg6 pistons, clean up machine edges if there is any on them
- y8 mls head gasket, according to zeal the static cr will be 11.97:1 with all that
- z6 intake manifold cut open and blended/cleaned up
- good radius valve seat job possibly, maybe just a 3 angle at first
- clean up intake and exhaust ports, no porting unless it needs anti reversion step with the z6 manifold
- clean up combustion chambers, remove edges etc.
- port match the main bearings to the girdle oil ports
- clean up flash off the girdle for oil return improvement
- shot peen rods
- arp head studs and rod bolts
- thinking maybe a colt cam of some sort or delta 272 though I've seen some bad talk about delta
- oem retainers, isky valve springs, bronze guides
- old aem cam gear the solid kind I already have I never used
- oem seals, bearings, timing belt, water pump and such

Exhaust
- eBay header
- 2.5" exhaust with a PVC axel back setup, I'm hoping that works as well as Larry says, if will save some weight
- no cat

Tuning, fuel
- probably going to do a grassroots obd0 with turboedit or bre
- hulog
- rom burner
- aem (Lego my) uego wideband
- walbro 255 fuel pump
- cbr1000 injectors, from what I understand they're ~300cc with a good spray and they can be had for ~$30 on eBay with the throttle bodies which I'll save for later ;)

Transmission/drivetrain
- either put a si final in my dx case or find a so trans whichever turns up cheaper
- rebuild kit with brass synchros, seals etc.
- replace 4th gear with a 4 speed 3rd gear, maybe use the 4 speed 4th as 5th too
- fidanza 7lb flywheel
- Exedy oem replacement clutch
- steel dual bend short shifter with extension up closer to steering wheel
- fix up the shifter slop

Wheels and tires
- cheapest 15 wheels I can find that aren't steelies
- Bridgestone re71r 205/50/15 tires

Suspension, chassis, cooling, and aero/body bits
- qa1 450lb front 550lb rear springs with cheap coil height adjusters
- koni yellows
- st 22mm front and rear sway bars, may find some oem ones to run at first
- poly master bushing kit of sorts minus trailing arm bushing, not 100% on what I'm going to use probably oem
- home made strut bars with no hinge points
- home made front air dam, side skirts, functional wing
- brake ducts, don't think I'll be overheating but it can't hurt to have and should help extend life of brake/hub components
- gt500 heat extractor, I'm glad someone on hear did this I love how it looks and it works
- put the car on a diet
- rust mort, od green tractor paint
- maybe some lexan windows
- da integra radiator
- oil cooler

Safety, miscellaneous
- bolt in roll bar from a buddy who's going weld in
- g force harnesses
- f1 spec driver seat, some other cheap seat for passenger that's wider so instructors will fit
- seat back braces
- oil pressure, oil temp, water temp gauges

Keep in mind this build is going to take a decent while and I plan to try to get most all this either on sale, used, or player deals so it will take some time.

See less See more
#2 ·
So is this a different car then the a6 build in your intro post?

#7 ·
I'm about 40 minutes north of Indy. The only ones I've been to make it to so far is a couple 10/10s event at Putnam, just a spectator though. I have a friend who's been to a fair amount of them he moved up to intermediate for itr expo and the last gridlife this year, I wanted to go to both but coudnt, he's pretty much the reason I want to build a car for the track.

#8 ·
I thought I recognized the hatch in the garage, was hard to tell, had to ask! hope to see you on the track

my scca racecar has a real similar build (11:1 d15, tuned with turboedit, etc). its perfect on track . lots more developing happening with it, hoping to get around 150WHP from it (a tick under 140 at moment). info in my threads here. good luck! I love the dumb lil d15's

#9 ·
Yep that's mr N Rowan's b16 ef, and yeah your thread has a lot of inspiration in it I really like that header beav built, I may have to invest in one if it's not out of my price range. I hope to get out on the track as soon as I can next year.

#14 ·
The cutlass belongs to nicks dad but I'll let him know. I wasn't sure about that std 4th as 5th I was seeing it wouldn't physically clear the case but you could maybe take some case material out, it's not like I'll be doing a lot of 5th driving anyways.

#17 ·
Damn that piston is dead and then some. Good to see the beast, she looks relatively straight.

#21 · (Edited)
Yea I was wondering about that gauge, I guess I'll see when it's hooked up and everything but for $10 for an electric Stewart warner I couldn't pass it up. If it ends up being bad they got a mechanical SW oil temp with sending unit there that probably will still be there if I need it, seems like no one knows about the flea market I got them from, it's like the guy raided a car quest and everything's pretty cheap.

*edit* just looked on stewart warners site, it says electric gauges pointer needles can rest at any point on gauge when power is unhooked, so hopefully that's why its at max temp

#23 · (Edited)
Went out and did a couple things today,
Pulled out almost all the interior just got a couple things left to take out in there, also found this great floor pan fix someone did I'll have to clean that up a bit, it's the rusted up spot on the passenger floor pan.

Pulled off the bumpers so I could start cutting weight out of them but the rear was so rusted out I don't know how the bumper stayed on, so now I'm debating on making a tube support for both instead of cutting up the front and buying a new one for the rear and cut it up. Also I forgot to take pictures of them.

Pulled out the front suspension so I can clean it all up, paint it whenever I can get over to a friends place who's got a sand blasting cabinet, and to replace bushings and ball joints before it goes back in. Need to clean up the skunk2 springs and dampers so I can put them on the market.

I probably will end up pulling the last bit of interior out and knocking the sound deadening out and whatever else I think of next weekend.

#24 ·
Small update, circumstance dictates I need to put to car back together and get it running before it's officially a track car so I picked up a d15b2 for free (having race car friends since middle school is a good thing) I tore it down yesterday for some evaluation and everything looks good, no pieces of connecting rod missing or anything.

So it looks like this will be the engine I'll end up using for the track too, I'm going to just freshen it up make sure it's all good, mill the head .05, get a manual a6 cam and put it back together. It's not exactly what I was aiming for but it will work for what I'm doing and get me out turning laps, it will let me put money elsewhere later where needed as well.

About 300k miles of deposits on those exhaust valves

4 happy little rods not missing any pieces

Cleaned up the piston tops a little

Snagged up some hood pins for free too

#29 ·
Both I suppose, I did go to automotive school right out of highschool, but I've been into cars for about 12 years starting with a DA integra when I was 14 and having an older brother who was into cars too allowed me to jump over the "ricer" phase and right into a group focused on the performance end of things so by the time I went to school I'd already gathered a fair amount of knowledge from working on my own cars and helping friends with theirs.

Also I took the head to the machine shop the other day and ordered the parts to freshen up the bottom end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.