Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updates will be slow right now since there's not a lot of money finding it's way to my pockets but I figured I could go ahead and start getting some things ready and start a build thread.

The plan as of right now is to do a high comp d15b7 on e85 but we'll see I may end up changing my mind. Now this is pretty much the ultimate goal by the end of next years racing season but I'll have it on the track before everything on the list is done so I can learn and make adjustments to the list as needed.

90 civic std hatch
Engine: d15b7
- deck the block .03, .04 off the head
- NPR 76mm pg6 pistons, clean up machine edges if there is any on them
- y8 mls head gasket, according to zeal the static cr will be 11.97:1 with all that
- z6 intake manifold cut open and blended/cleaned up
- good radius valve seat job possibly, maybe just a 3 angle at first
- clean up intake and exhaust ports, no porting unless it needs anti reversion step with the z6 manifold
- clean up combustion chambers, remove edges etc.
- port match the main bearings to the girdle oil ports
- clean up flash off the girdle for oil return improvement
- shot peen rods
- arp head studs and rod bolts
- thinking maybe a colt cam of some sort or delta 272 though I've seen some bad talk about delta
- oem retainers, isky valve springs, bronze guides
- old aem cam gear the solid kind I already have I never used
- oem seals, bearings, timing belt, water pump and such

Exhaust
- eBay header
- 2.5" exhaust with a PVC axel back setup, I'm hoping that works as well as Larry says, if will save some weight
- no cat

Tuning, fuel
- probably going to do a grassroots obd0 with turboedit or bre
- hulog
- rom burner
- aem (Lego my) uego wideband
- walbro 255 fuel pump
- cbr1000 injectors, from what I understand they're ~300cc with a good spray and they can be had for ~$30 on eBay with the throttle bodies which I'll save for later ;)

Transmission/drivetrain
- either put a si final in my dx case or find a so trans whichever turns up cheaper
- rebuild kit with brass synchros, seals etc.
- replace 4th gear with a 4 speed 3rd gear, maybe use the 4 speed 4th as 5th too
- fidanza 7lb flywheel
- Exedy oem replacement clutch
- steel dual bend short shifter with extension up closer to steering wheel
- fix up the shifter slop

Wheels and tires
- cheapest 15 wheels I can find that aren't steelies
- Bridgestone re71r 205/50/15 tires

Suspension, chassis, cooling, and aero/body bits
- qa1 450lb front 550lb rear springs with cheap coil height adjusters
- koni yellows
- st 22mm front and rear sway bars, may find some oem ones to run at first
- poly master bushing kit of sorts minus trailing arm bushing, not 100% on what I'm going to use probably oem
- home made strut bars with no hinge points
- home made front air dam, side skirts, functional wing
- brake ducts, don't think I'll be overheating but it can't hurt to have and should help extend life of brake/hub components
- gt500 heat extractor, I'm glad someone on hear did this I love how it looks and it works
- put the car on a diet
- rust mort, od green tractor paint
- maybe some lexan windows
- da integra radiator
- oil cooler

Safety, miscellaneous
- bolt in roll bar from a buddy who's going weld in
- g force harnesses
- f1 spec driver seat, some other cheap seat for passenger that's wider so instructors will fit
- seat back braces
- oil pressure, oil temp, water temp gauges

Keep in mind this build is going to take a decent while and I plan to try to get most all this either on sale, used, or player deals so it will take some time.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
So is this a different car then the a6 build in your intro post?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the same car just revised a little since I broke a rod on the a6 and I figured I would make a build thread here where the other ones are since I'm starting to do some work on albeit not much.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Werds :TU:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alright here's a couple of pictures of the car, it's a beater but as long as it ends up functioning then that's alright. This weekend I'll try to start removing some weight and maybe browse the junkyard for hidden treasure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about 40 minutes north of Indy. The only ones I've been to make it to so far is a couple 10/10s event at Putnam, just a spectator though. I have a friend who's been to a fair amount of them he moved up to intermediate for itr expo and the last gridlife this year, I wanted to go to both but coudnt, he's pretty much the reason I want to build a car for the track.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I thought I recognized the hatch in the garage, was hard to tell, had to ask! hope to see you on the track

my scca racecar has a real similar build (11:1 d15, tuned with turboedit, etc). its perfect on track . lots more developing happening with it, hoping to get around 150WHP from it (a tick under 140 at moment). info in my threads here. good luck! I love the dumb lil d15's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep that's mr N Rowan's b16 ef, and yeah your thread has a lot of inspiration in it I really like that header beav built, I may have to invest in one if it's not out of my price range. I hope to get out on the track as soon as I can next year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah been friends with him for a long time, I've always loved road racing since I first played gran turismo but he took me for a ride along one day at an autocross event and it hooked me right in haha but I probably won't be autocrossing.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Nice Cutlass.

Can't put 4th gear in place of 5th gear. Lucky I'm close by in Cincy :)

Si FD can be had for REALLY cheap....easy swap once inside the trans.

Shifter forks are the big worry with 88-91 trans.

See PM :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
I thought I recognized the hatch in the garage, was hard to tell, had to ask! hope to see you on the track

my scca racecar has a real similar build (11:1 d15, tuned with turboedit, etc). its perfect on track . lots more developing happening with it, hoping to get around 150WHP from it (a tick under 140 at moment). info in my threads here. good luck! I love the dumb lil d15's
poser :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cutlass belongs to nicks dad but I'll let him know. I wasn't sure about that std 4th as 5th I was seeing it wouldn't physically clear the case but you could maybe take some case material out, it's not like I'll be doing a lot of 5th driving anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last weekend we pulled out the engine and I found this in there.

Pretty sure the rod cap isn't supposed to be almost straight and we can't find the rest of the rod either.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Damn that piston is dead and then some. Good to see the beast, she looks relatively straight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to the flea market today and picked up a couple things, oil cooler, marine battery box, stewart warner electric oil pressure and oil temp gauges, and a handful of various thread sealant/lockers for $45.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts