Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've started to compile parts for what will hopefully be one of the cheapest turbo builds imaginable. The car is my white 91 Civic sedan with a D16Z6. Stock engine thus far. Goal is a measly 170~190 whp. Just to cut my teeth guess cuz I'm a n00b. Here's what is going on so far:

HF manifold
DSM 440 injectors
Intercooler
AEM Fuel rail (which I'm sure I don't need but was a freebie with the intercooler)
AEM Cam gear (not pictured, but also a freebie I guess I'd mention even though probably won't be needed)
Threaded adaptor for oil lines to go where oil pressure sensor is
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump already installed on car by previous owner
ARP Headstuds with recent head gasket, water pump and timing belt

The engine harness is converted to OBD1 with a resistor box for the injectors as the previous owner had it turbo'd but it was a built engine with a much nicer set up than I'm looking for LOL.

I know it's not much but not counting the headgasket/ARP headstuds on the engine, I only have $35 invested between all little bit of stuff in the pic.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to be picking up a TD05 turbo for cheap. I found some research on these and it should be a 1g/2g DSM turbo right? Seller says no shaft play and is in good order and should be at stock internal wastegate. However I have to do more reading because I'm assuming that's 8 psi but I'm not sure. I'm still learning this stuff and reading Corky Bell, but should I maybe go with a different turbo?

Next stuff will be a replacement oil pan from the junk yard to tap for oil drain lines, eBay turbo to HF manifold adaptor and then next big ticket item once I have that stuff will be taking the car to an amazing welder and having a custom downpipe and charge piping made. Also need to get a BOV. Will shop locally via forums and Craigslist for a good deal.

Wish me luck and tell me if anything I said sounds stupid.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Depending on the inlet of the turbine, the cost of a custom adaptor will cost more than to get a different turbo.

You will need a chipped ecu with either an ostrich/chip burner/wbo2 or a tuner.

If you re trying to everything for the "lowest budget imaginable" don't get custom piping, just get an ebay intercooler pipe set up used on craigslist for 30 bucks and use some prebent autozone exhaust pipe and clamps for the downpipe. For bonus points, you could get a $100 fluxcore from harbor freight and do some fab work.

You also need a blow off valve and some kind of catch can set-up.

Do you have a traction bar and half radiator? it's really hard to fit turbo stuff in a 4g without.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention the car has stock cross member but a 92+ Civic radiator. A traction bar would be a wise investment for many reasons and something I will mos def do.

Catch can and such I can have covered thanks to a great local welder for a fee that is worth their work.

Thanks for the input. I guess when I say 'cheap' I don't mean using cheap or knock off parts but more along the lines of getting things off of low ball deals/for free/trades etc

And I'm scouring the FS threads of the local forum to catch a good deal on a slightly used but high quality BOV. I know one will come up if I am patient enough. :) I'm in no rush.

Should I avoid the TD05? The price is cheap (protip: just a bit more than I paid for the stuff in the picture at the price above). But if it's not gonna work out great in the long run I can pass and keep searching if it's advisable.

I will chip the P28 the car is running on now and take it to a reputable shop for dyno tuning when all is said and done.

In addition to all that, I guess it would be wise to maybe try and upgrade to a better radiator and fan possibly?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the info. I was browsing some flanges and it does look odd compared to what I am seeing but didn't seem any more expensive.

I know I also need to worry about gauges and exhaust but I'm not as worried about that as I should be able to score gauges cheap from local sellers. Exhaust I'll check around with some folks and see what they could do for me. I got a quote on a custom downpipe that I thought was fair for the quality of work I've seen from the welder.

One step at a time I guess.

Ninja edit: I'll get a new clutch before all of this too but I'm not really considering that in the cost of the turbo set up as I will need to replace the clutch as normal maintenance anyway.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i'd sell the fuel rail and cam gear if you can. neither are necessary for your power goals and will net a little more money for your build. if you want, i have a knock off greddy type s bov i could let go cheap. it worked fine on my turbo y8 and held 20psi just fine for the few months i used it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'd sell the fuel rail and cam gear if you can. neither are necessary for your power goals and will net a little more money for your build. if you want, i have a knock off greddy type s bov i could let go cheap. it worked fine on my turbo y8 and held 20psi just fine for the few months i used it.
Cool PM me an asking price and I can see what I can do this weekend.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With this kind of setup with stock internals whats the life expectancy on those rod bearings? I can only imagine?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To my understanding the stock bottom end should be fine up to 200 whp at least.

Now I have to research this turbo and see which TD05H it is since I believe there are multiples and make sure it's not more than my engine can handle. Any suggestions on how I can determine what it is currently internally wastegated to? If it turns out to be the turbo is more than the project needs I'll just try to sell it or trade it for something better suited.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
To my understanding the stock bottom end should be fine up to 200 whp at least.

Now I have to research this turbo and see which TD05H it is since I believe there are multiples and make sure it's not more than my engine can handle. Any suggestions on how I can determine what it is currently internally wastegated to? If it turns out to be the turbo is more than the project needs I'll just try to sell it or trade it for something better suited.
Post pix and someone can help tell what it came off of.
On the wastegate.
Either use an air compressor with an adjustable reg. to pump air into it and see when it opens.
But most internal are going to be from 7-9psi normally but there are some that will be 12-15psi.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet I'll take the pics and post them tomorrow.

Got a spare oil pan today to have fitted for oil drain lines. Figured it'd be cheap and easy to just get one and prepare it now, that when it'll be ready when all the other stuff is ready to go on the car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sweet I'll take the pics and post them tomorrow.

Got a spare oil pan today to have fitted for oil drain lines. Figured it'd be cheap and easy to just get one and prepare it now, that when it'll be ready when all the other stuff is ready to go on the car.
Doing anything to an engine when it's not in the car is the best way to go if possible. Good call and this should be a good build for other newbs to read at some point... some people want to do a "cheap turbo build" but fail to realize it doesn't quite turn out that way.

The way I see it: save/budget for quality ($$) parts and you will not be sad panda later on down the road.

Good luck and I wish you the best boost!

>>Dan

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
im doing the same low budget T25 setup. im waiting to get my LS rods from the machine shop, ill be running them with vitaras. whatever you do make sure you use a 1/8 BSP fitting to tap into where the oil pressure sending unit goes. turbofittings.com has all the fittings you will need. also use a silicone hose for the oil drain hose on the turbo.

ive been gathering parts for the past year and this fall its going to be time for some LIVE ACTION !!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doing anything to an engine when it's not in the car is the best way to go if possible. Good call and this should be a good build for other newbs to read at some point... some people want to do a "cheap turbo build" but fail to realize it doesn't quite turn out that way.

The way I see it: save/budget for quality ($$) parts and you will not be sad panda later on down the road.

Good luck and I wish you the best boost!

>>Dan
Thanks man I really appreciate it. Next things on the list are the downpipe flange, BOV and HF manifold adapter plate. Obviously though I'll wait to get those until I confirm that THIS is the turbo I'm using. The turbo only ran me $50 so at worst I sell it and recoup (if it doesn't turn out to fit my project) or trade it for things I need.

But otherwise, eBay, here I come! lol

I'm finding the trick for like name brand parts cheap is to find people who have had it for sale for a long time and offer a low offer. Some money is better than none. But don't just low ball people who just posted something. That's insulting (unless they openly say they are open to low ball offers).

Oh and still pics to come later today. Not home right now to take em.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
it would be wise to send your injectors out to get cleaned and flow benched to ensure optimal performance. I did this and am glad I did cuz it turns out one of my injectors were bad and needed replacing. just my. 02 . looking good tho!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it would be wise to send your injectors out to get cleaned and flow benched to ensure optimal performance. I did this and am glad I did cuz it turns out one of my injectors were bad and needed replacing. just my. 02 . looking good tho!
Totally agree with you. Mind if I ask the cost on that? If you don't feel comfortable posting that's cool or you can PM me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some pics of the TD05H I have. Any one who can help confirm which TD05H it is get's +10000 internet cool points. I'm guessing 14b but I have no educated reason why I say that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts