Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this forum after reading dozens of similar sites which didn't seem relevant to what we're trying to find out. Our son recently picked up a used Honda VTEC D17A engine. We are in the process of attempting to start and run the engine on an engine stand. We do NOT have an ECU for the engine. Is it possible to disconnect or override the engine ECU and start and run the engine on a stand? We would have a starting battery, fuel tank, and improvised cooling system hooked up to the engine. I appreciate any guidance or advice you may provide. This is all uncharted territory for me but I do have lots of mechanical experience mostly on older two-stroke carburetor gasoline outboard and small naturally aspirated diesel engines with mechanical fuel injection systems. Thanks, Mark

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,463 Posts
ecu tells the injectors when to fire. unless youre really quick, I dont think youll be able to fire it without fuel and spark timing.

d17 ecus are cheap, and pick and pulls should have them, if not craigslist or facebook marketplace.

and since its a d17, you may need to find the key that goes with the ecu since there is an immobilizer...

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
You can work past the immobilizer by powering the fuel pump directly with a switch.

You will need to leave the primary O2 sensor unhooked. Why? 01-03 civics used a normal narrowband 4 wire primary sensor. the 04-05 engines used a 4-wire wideband sensor that appears just like the narrowband normal.

whatever ecu you use, just make sure the engine harness is the SAME sub-set of years. 01-03 ecu? 01-03 harness.

Also, it of course MUST be an EX civic ecu for the vtec to function. Not that it really matters to test an engine on a stand, but just know it, regardless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts