Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car hasnt wanted to start while the engine was up to temp for a while but now it doesnt matter if its warm or cold, it just doesn't want to start. Have to pump it and crank for 5-10 seconds to get it started and have to hold it at 2-3k rpm for another 10 seconds to keep it from dying. After that, it drives just fine. Cars a 90 wagon 1.5 fwd. Anything I should look for?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never brought a car to a shop, probably never will. If its something I cant do, I take it to my dad whos a mechanic. I like to do as much as possible my self though.

And the car has a bunch of new stuff with less then 3k miles like new plugs/wires/dis cap/dis rotor/fuel filter/battery/ alt/head gasket/radiator/all 3 temp sensors/volt,oil press, temp gauge. Probably more im forgetting. Also the throttle bodies been cleaned as well as the ivac. Ran seafoam in the fuel. Mystery oil in the oil

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has overheated before at got over 230 degrees, There may or may not be a tiny crack in the head. Havent been able to confirm it or not though. As far as i can tell, oil and coolant arnt mixing

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can ask him, and the car not wanting to start when warm didnt happen until after the car overheated and blew a head gasket. And not wanting to start in any temp just happened one day

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The head was not resurfaced. I needed the car for work so i had about a 4 hour time window to get it running. It was cleaned up though. I dont think im losing coolant but it should be full so ill try to add more. Idk if this is important or not, but it did take over 20 mins to bleed the coolant and im not 100% sure if it was done bubbling when we stopped. He doesnt have the tool to do a leak down test. Also can a intake leak cause this? Like I said, i had very limited time to get it running and none of the local part stores had an intake gasket so we had to make one using cardboard and rtv

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
The head was not resurfaced. I needed the car for work so i had about a 4 hour time window to get it running. It was cleaned up though. I dont think im losing coolant but it should be full so ill try to add more. Idk if this is important or not, but it did take over 20 mins to bleed the coolant and im not 100% sure if it was done bubbling when we stopped. He doesnt have the tool to do a leak down test. Also can a intake leak cause this? Like I said, i had very limited time to get it running and none of the local part stores had an intake gasket so we had to make one using cardboard and rtv
The RTV on the mating surface would've been much more effective without some ghetto cardboard gasket sandwiched in there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats how I was told to do it. Do you think that could be the cause? And ill go ahead and have the part store order it tomorrow

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No im not sure if the timing correct, thats something we actually ment to look at but forgot i guess. And I was able to put about 1 or 2 cups of coolant in it, it was full about 500 miles ago. Also discovered one spark plug drenched in oil. I previously replaced the valve cover gaskets to fix this and it seamed to worked for 1-2 moths so im going to order the lower tube o rings. And i ordered the intake gasket, i can pick it up tomorrow

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you think it could be then? im replacing the intake gasket and lower tube seals in about 5 days when the part comes in

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We checked the timing and its good, also checked fuel pressure, it was good as well. He doesnt have a leak down tester and he said he doesnt know anyone with one. From what i see, it will cost about the same to do that test as it would be to get a replacement head. And ill do compression test another day when its not so hot outside. He thinks the coil maybe why its not wanting to start. Im going to replace it when i do the intake gasket and the lower tube seals

1 - 16 of 16 Posts