Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a Y7 5 speed, and I think my starter just took a dump. I try and turn it over and all I get is a rapid clicking from the starter. I tried to jump start her too, and that was a no go, so it's not my battery.
Anyways, anyone know about starter compatability across all years of D motors? As long as it's from a MT will it bolt up?
Thanks.

-ic

B

·
0 Posts
if a batt is very dead you might not be able to jump it. if its a manual tranny push start it. or you can hit the starer wile someone else turns the key. that usually works

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery should be fine. It's a Honda Batt. and only a year and a half old. All the accessories work strong, so I thought the deep charge on my battery was shot, but when I try to jump it, same thing, the starter just clicks really fast.

B

·
0 Posts
more like a hammer, its not made of glass.
check a junk yard for a starter if its bad

S

·
0 Posts
have sumone try starting it and when its clicking hit it with a hammer on the side, if it starts turnin u need a new starter. shops will charge $40-$80 for that kind of diagnostic work lol. if it doesnt do anything make sure u got power to the starter and ur grounds are good

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
icarusdown said:
Hey all, I have a Y7 5 speed, and I think my starter just took a dump. I try and turn it over and all I get is a rapid clicking from the starter. I tried to jump start her too, and that was a no go, so it's not my battery.
Anyways, anyone know about starter compatability across all years of D motors? As long as it's from a MT will it bolt up?
Thanks.

-ic
I had an almost dead battery on my Civic and it would make the starter click repeatedly like that. From all my experience with starters and batteries, when the starter clicks repeatedly and quickly it's because it's not getting enough power to crank the engine. You can have a brand new battery but if you try and start it too many times or let the starter run too long, it will suck the life right out of it. That's why manufacturers always recomment not letting the starter run too long because it can drain your battery. The power the starter uses to crank the engine over is phenomenal and can make short work of a new batt.

If the starter was gone (requiring the "redneck" starting method of hitting it with a hammer or mallet), it would click once for every time you turn the key to START. This happens because the starter motor contacts which complete the circuit and activate the motor have worn out and don't make contact with the internal plunger anymore. The plunger is a shaft with a round copper disc on the end of it and when you turn the key to START, a solenoid activates and advances the plunger towards two contacts for the starter motor while at the same time advancing the toothed spline out into the ring gear of the flywheel (manual trans) or torque converter (auto trans). When the internal plunger contacts the two solenoids, it creates a circuit which brings power to the starter motor and starts the spline gear turning the flywheel or TC and this turns the motor over.

Tapping the starter with a mallet or hammer causes vibration which sometimes makes the plunger contact for a moment and VROOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM. I've changed the contacts in my 88-91 starter and it's a very easy job and only costs a few dollars for the contacts. I am not quite sure how easy it is to change the contacts on the 92+ starters or if it can even be done. However if you can do it, it's a pretty straightforward repair so long as you have some common sense, mechanical apptitude and remember that installation is the reverse of removal. Replacing the contacts is the most common problem and easy to fix. I know many online parts sites list the contacts as a replacement part. This repair is far cheaper and will give you many many years of new use from yout starter as opposed to what many people just end up doing (and what most shady mechanics will tell you to do to make a sale and earn a free good starter to sell later) and that is replace the entire starter.

Sorry but I'm not too sure about the compatibility issue tho man. Just figured I'd offer some help from my own exps with regards to the starter problem.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the information on starter mechanics, steve-o.
As you mentioned, I thought at first that my battery was just too weak to turn the starter because it makes the rapid clicking sound, not just the one click you said indicates a bad starter. I had this exact same problem (rapid clicking) when I had to replace my battery about 1 1/2 years ago. I just now tried to smak the starter with a hammer and nothing happened. The thing is though, is that I can't get it to start when I try and jump it off my wife's car either.
Anyways, I'll have to wait until sunday to finish fucking around with this gremlin. I've got some drinking to do! ;-)

-ic

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
icarusdown said:
thanks for the information on starter mechanics, steve-o.
As you mentioned, I thought at first that my battery was just too weak to turn the starter because it makes the rapid clicking sound, not just the one click you said indicates a bad starter. I had this exact same problem (rapid clicking) when I had to replace my battery about 1 1/2 years ago. I just now tried to smak the starter with a hammer and nothing happened. The thing is though, is that I can't get it to start when I try and jump it off my wife's car either.
Anyways, I'll have to wait until sunday to finish fucking around with this gremlin. I've got some drinking to do! ;-)

-ic
I was bored :p. I'm not a mechanic (well, not yet ;)) but i have had to repair my starter before and i took a good look at everything when I was doing it. it's pretty fascinating actually to think that small motor is the link to our happiness. The amount of power that thing generates and uses to be able to turn even our small engines over is phenomenal.

Sorry if I came across as implying that you didn't know anything (some people have become quite offended with me when I post something they already know). i just figured if someone else is reading it might help them out too.

Sounds like you have quite the gremlin there. i know with my winter beater from it sitting all spring summer and fall that the battery was so gone that even jumping it with the electric starter won't help and it takes forever for the charge to come up. i would say try it with a different batttery and if you still have the clicking, it might be time for a new starter.

sorry man, wish i could be of more help. i'm starting at our local Honda dealership in the garage on the 3rd so i can cross-check the part numbers to see what will fit and also ask the guys what would be causing your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts