Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently replaced my clutch and fly wheel on my 1991 crx si. I have back in and plugged in but the car isn’t wanting to turn over. I talk to a few people and they were saying it could be because the flywheel is to heavy causing the starter to struggle. Any thoughts on what could have happened and if it is the starter what is a good solution besides having to pull the motor again and go back to the old flywheel

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,723 Posts
Does it sound like it tries to start at all? Like starter clicking? The flywheel's job is to be heavy, if you bought a new flywheel from a parts store for your car, i promise its not too heavy. Something else is up. Did you plug in the starter solenoid signal wire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it sound like it tries to start at all? Like starter clicking? The flywheel's job is to be heavy, if you bought a new flywheel from a parts store for your car, i promise its not too heavy. Something else is up. Did you plug in the starter solenoid signal wire?
Yeah it clicks and kinda wants to start but the battery is fully charged it’s just not wanting to turn over

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,723 Posts
How do you know the battery is fully charged? Did you load test it Is? Is it old/new? If it's old, it may not have any reserve capacity left due to sulphated plates and is at end of life.

Power/ground cables tight? Engine/chassis grounds good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you know the battery is fully charged? Did you load test it Is? Is it old/new? If it's old, it may not have any reserve capacity left due to sulphated plates and is at end of life.

Power/ground cables tight? Engine/chassis grounds good?
All the grounds are good and where they need to be and the battery is only a couple months old so it’s new.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,007 Posts
pretty sure he already said the battery was new ..ish
get off his back!
did you try it again with a jump box?

feels like Im watching people try to tell a blind man to pick a color

·
Registered
33 Posts
1)I would try a jumpstart to make sure I got enough juice (I know newish battery)
2) Check cables condition to starter
3) remove starter and have load tested( mine acted up after a clutch change)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
30 year old ground cable from trans to frame will break down inside the protective sheathing.

Also check the OEM terminal clamps at the battery. They can split/crack due to age and cause all kinds of issues. A long time member on here, customer and dear friend, CRX Lee Grimes of KONI NA had this very issue. Sometimes hard to crank, would jump start with ease. Once running there was a random misfire issue. Clamping on the bump box HELPED the weak connection of the split OEM battery cable.

Honda via Lucas, our British friends will get a laugh out of that.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
EF's with their now brittle wiring harness's are a PITA, esp. the engine wiring harness. Even those that have been racing them for a decade or more get tripped up by the brittle wiring and the known guesses to chase. They find something new and the guess list gets longer.

And I have bought a 89 Civic Si STS, race car, I know my days of headaches might be coming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
30 year old ground cable from trans to frame will break down inside the protective sheathing.

Also check the OEM terminal clamps at the battery. They can split/crack due to age and cause all kinds of issues. A long time member on here, customer and dear friend, CRX Lee Grimes of KONI NA had this very issue. Sometimes hard to crank, would jump start with ease. Once running there was a random misfire issue. Clamping on the bump box HELPED the weak connection of the split OEM battery cable.

Honda via Lucas, our British friends will get a laugh out of that.
Yeah I might try and look into that I just got done replacing the starter and it turns over a lot better and quicker just doesn’t turn on. I’m going to be checking all the grounds again and switching some around then also replacing the battery terminal clamps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.