Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to start my 1991 civic Si since November 2012 when i got tires for it.
I know I should start it every 3-4 months or so, but Im too lazy !
Anyways, while it cranked slowly, it started but the screeching noise was terrible.
It also started to smoke, so I shut it off.
I then tried again and still screeching, so I grabbed a garden hose and sprayed water on the alternator belt and inside the timing belt cover to try and moisten the belts. So I tried starting again and the noise was slowly fading..finally went away after 30 seconds. I then let it run for 20 minutes in the driveway, then drove it about 1 mile to the gas station to fill up the tires to 35 PSI.

Was this the alternator making noise or the timing belt that was not seating ?

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Most likely yes......although throwing water all over it probably wouldn't have been my first choice

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
So alternator, alternator belt or timing belt ?
Timing belt is pretty new.
Idk you tell me.... Most likely alternator belt but I wouldn't worry usually that happens when haven't started car in a while

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Idk you tell me.... Most likely alternator belt but I wouldn't worry usually that happens when haven't started car in a while

Ya, probably the alternator bearings are dry. And once they warmed up they loosened. The timing belt or alternator belt wouldnt seize onto the pulleys right ?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Souls like the alt belt to me. It will go away after a few mins of the motor running.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
The belt gets stiff,once warm it loosens up.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You can spray some belt conditioner or brake fluid on it.

I've got a 89 Accord coupe that I started after it sat for over a year. Popped the valve cover, poured a little oil over the cam and rockers, and once the battery was charged, cranked it up.

You'll see smoke from them if it's been awhile. And the squealing is nothing to worry about.

As a side note, if you are going to let it sit for a while, de-tension the accessory belts a bit. It keeps them from cracking as bad and getting deformed.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
It was your alternator belt. The squealing noise was it slipping some.

If you continue to have the issue, replace the belt. And while the belt is off, wire brush each pulley the belt rides on.

That will solve your squeal.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I went to start up my 1991 Civic Si the other day after 1 year sitting and it did in fact start, but because the battery was low the alternator placed a high load on the belt, which was a little brittle from not moving and made a terrible screeching noise for 30 seconds !
The alternator would fairly soon charge up the battery enough to reduce the load and stop the screech. I had the battery disconnected, but does the battery drain even though it is disconnected ?
Anyways, I was thinking of buying a battery maintainer, trickle charger.
Which do you recommend ? I was thinking of getting the Battery Tender.

Auto Battery Charger: Find NASCAR, Motomaster Car Battery Chargers & more | Canadian Tire

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm not familiar with different brands of chargers, bit a trickle charger is an excellent idea. And yes, the battery will wind up losing its charge over time.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
So I went to start up my 1991 Civic Si the other day after 1 year sitting and it did in fact start, but because the battery was low the alternator placed a high load on the belt, which was a little brittle from not moving and made a terrible screeching noise for 30 seconds !
The alternator would fairly soon charge up the battery enough to reduce the load and stop the screech. I had the battery disconnected, but does the battery drain even though it is disconnected ?
Anyways, I was thinking of buying a battery maintainer, trickle charger.
Which do you recommend ? I was thinking of getting the Battery Tender.

Auto Battery Charger: Find NASCAR, Motomaster Car Battery Chargers & more | Canadian Tire

lead acid batteries self-discharge and sulfate over time, the guideline we use is:
recharge to 12.84vdc open circuit (nothing connected) after either 6 months, or when the open circuit voltage reaches 12.54

1 - 17 of 17 Posts