Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my good friend picked up a car yesterday and it started knocking today randomly I pulled the pan and girdle and found this. What are the options really? The crank seems to be ok I haven't measured it yet. But what does everyone recommend ? It seems like rod number 2 made the bearing disappear and seems like the rod is a goner... ImageUploadedByAG Free1373866508.520802.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1373866523.203929.jpg notice the rounded edges ImageUploadedByAG Free1373866544.137849.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
657 Posts
Looks like that bearing is seized/melted onto the #2 rod cap. Personally, I would be worried about the crank. Perhaps a micro polish could be all that's needed, but I'd have all the journals measured first. Also, just like you stated, that rod is done. The girdle, on the other hand, is probably okay. Many people, myself included, have shaved off mm's of material in those same spots (for clearance) without any ill effects. As long as it's not cracked, I'd re-use it. But that's just me.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like that bearing is seized/melted onto the #2 rod cap. Personally, I would be worried about the crank. Perhaps a micro polish could be all that's needed, but I'd have all the journals measured first. Also, just like you stated, that rod is done. The girdle, on the other hand, is probably okay. Many people, myself included, have shaved off mm's of material in those same spots (for clearance) without any ill effects. As long as it's not cracked, I'd re-use it. But that's just me.

Good luck with it!
Thank you. You cleared up exactly what I was thinking. So basically a new rod and possibly some crank work to get it going again. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
This has me scared to pull my pan on the motor in my car.

And OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! That sucker looks fused to the rod cap! Friction weld, anyone?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I would re-surface those journals and then make up the difference using colored OEM bearings.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Pretty crazy! If he didn't run it crazy hard.. I'd say he could have just got screwed over.

If you mean picked up as in just bought it at least.

I agree with Eso

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah he just bought it. He was taking it fishing when it happened. He did admit that when it started knocking he drove it normal to make it home didn't try babying it at all lol. I have a b7 block that needs a build I think we might possibly go that route since seems like machine work will make trying to save this block more expensive then feshening up the b7 block I have

1 - 7 of 7 Posts