Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there folks.

I am currently working on swapping my 97 automatic del sol to manual.

I have bought a S40 B000 (from a 2000 civic ex) and am in the process of getting started on the rebuild. I plan to use a synchrotech master rebuild kit and a mfactory helical LSD.

The main question is will the standard axles fit the transmission?

I have a old factory one (that I shattered) I tried to mount up (replaced with a 25/26 spline), but it doesn't want to lock in, so while it seems to slide in and spin the trans, it doesn't want to press in.

I figured my normal replacement axles will be fine for now since I am not adding any real power yet (turbo, head, intake, exhaust, and chip to come).

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,350 Posts
Use the knuckle to slam the axle home.

If not you risk stripping the end of the inner joint off like I did in 1996.

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH hey, transzex, heard a lot about you. No this was on the bench, I had half of a half shaft I was testing with. Half of my original axle that popped when I applied a bit too much power. I was just making sure the axle fit the transmission before spending grand and half on it. I just hope the B000 lives up to the hype.

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after some reading and searching. I found that it is best to use Honda MTF in the new transmission. However I also found notes that I should be using Motul FF type 2 since I am putting in a MFactory LSD with the carbon synchrotech rebuild kit. Which of these is actually best for it? I am more concerned with longevity than performance.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
511 Posts
If you're using Synchrotech's carbon rebuild kit, why not just use their branded version of Torco MTF?

I don't know if it is different than regular Torco MTF, but this is what they say is compatible with the carbon lining bonded to the synchros.

Other fluids might work fine as well from stories around the net, but why risk it? Synchrotech took the time to determine that this fluid works to their specifications with those carbon synchros, sold. I ran it in mine, no problems while my engine lasted lol.

This MTF is also recommended for the MFactory helical LSD.

torcomtf.png

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,187 Posts
10w-30

or support a site sponsor ^^^^

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,350 Posts
I haven't asked Britney @ Synchrotech about their version of Torco Fluid. I make sure to do that when I order parts tomorrow.

Unless you can get the original Honda MTF that STINKS!, the rest is pisswater.

50/50 Mix of Torco RTF and MTF is what my customers use in SCCA race transmissions and I used on the street in my CRX.

10w30 works, even with Torsen style LSD's.

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not really a question, but I just got my parts.

Some very sexy parts at that. I am going to have a very fun weekend. Just hope I know how to use all these.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,350 Posts
Don't be in a rush. If you don't understand something, stop and ask questions, using pictures to help.

I've done several hundred of these and even I have a brain fart once in a while. Namely because the 1-r-2 slider is upside down in the B series as compared to D series.

Look at your 3-4 shifter fork, I bet it needs replaced, common wear item in S40's. Honda no longer sells them unless the hard more made or are using an alt. supplier.

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This should be the helical diff. Specifically the "Synchrotech / MFactory LSD for 40mm D16 Honda Civic SOHC 1989-2000". I'll have to have a look at the Shift Fork. I cannot actually order anything from that site since the payment system fails every time I try.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,350 Posts
Did you go with a clutch pack style LSD from MFactory? Or is the helical diff housing black now?

Mine was silver color, just curious!
They are sexy black now for helical. MF Clutch pack LSD has the speedo ring gear machined into the housing,

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Before I go off working on the transmission, I went through and pulled some resources. I wanted to know where all the parts go before I start taking everything apart.

So I took some screenshots of my repair manual (this is from my 96 Del Sol repair manual, so it should be the S40). Here are the parts.

So keeping this in mind. I have determined the following matchups, based on the first parts numbers.

These are all guesses as I have not disassembled the transmission!

A (20)??
B (76)??
C Both part of (70)
D (1)??
E (95)??
F (94)??
G only one that has the same shape... (84)?
H (13)
I (3)
K-1 (5)
K-2 (11)
K-3 (11)
K-4 (81)
K-5 (86)
L (74)
M largest two (49) (72), smallest (71)?
N (37)
P (4) (12)x2 (82) (85)

I need to run to harbor freight tomorrow to get a hydraulic press before I start. I could just floor bash it, but I don't like that idea.

·
Registered
97 Del Sol
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The manual says I should be using one. Is that not really needed?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
511 Posts
Before I go off working on the transmission, I went through and pulled some resources. I wanted to know where all the parts go before I start taking everything apart.

So I took some screenshots of my repair manual (this is from my 96 Del Sol repair manual, so it should be the S40). Here are the parts.

So keeping this in mind. I have determined the following matchups, based on the first parts numbers.

These are all guesses as I have not disassembled the transmission!

A (20)??
B (76)??
C Both part of (70)
D (1)??
E (95)??
F (94)??
G only one that has the same shape... (84)?
H (13)
I (3)
K-1 (5)
K-2 (11)
K-3 (11)
K-4 (81)
K-5 (86)
L (74)
M largest two (49) (72), smallest (71)?
N (37)
P (4) (12)x2 (82) (85)

I need to run to harbor freight tomorrow to get a hydraulic press before I start. I could just floor bash it, but I don't like that idea.
Things will become much more clear once you have the main and countershafts sitting by themselves on your workbench. Tackle one at a time. Its almost impossible to install an incorrect part in the wrong spot, as long as you are paying attention to details.

Make sure to measure and verify your differential housing bearing clearance. There is a gap that is adjusted with shims, these don't come with your kit. If the gap is out, you will need to determine the shim size you need and order from Honda. Be aware, some shim sizes are very difficult to find anymore. MFactory makes a really good quality diff, and shimming is unlikely, but always check this gap just to make sure. I had to shim mine.

Also, I went the same route. I bought the 20 ton from HF just for my rebuild, specifically for suspension components. Came in handy with the trans. Reinstalling the synchronizer hubs, some of the gear outer diameters BARELY fit between the press platform on the 20 ton. Do not get the 10 ton, it is useless without a lot of rigging crap, it has a smaller working platform. I had to rig some stuff on the 20 ton to make it all work, but it is definitely doable.

Make sure to get a big bearing splitter while your at it. Will need this for pressing/pulling things. The smaller one is just a little too small, and even if you rig it up to work, is sketchy when pressure starts pushing on it.

You would probably be ok to use a well built large 3 jaw puller to remove these hubs, but the claws on mine were too fat whereas my bearing splitter fit nice in between. Then just use a 2 or 3 bolt puller to pull em off.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts