Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there folks.

I am currently working on swapping my 97 automatic del sol to manual.

I have bought a S40 B000 (from a 2000 civic ex) and am in the process of getting started on the rebuild. I plan to use a synchrotech master rebuild kit and a mfactory helical LSD.

The main question is will the standard axles fit the transmission?

I have a old factory one (that I shattered) I tried to mount up (replaced with a 25/26 spline), but it doesn't want to lock in, so while it seems to slide in and spin the trans, it doesn't want to press in.

I figured my normal replacement axles will be fine for now since I am not adding any real power yet (turbo, head, intake, exhaust, and chip to come).

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
Use the knuckle to slam the axle home.

If not you risk stripping the end of the inner joint off like I did in 1996.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH hey, transzex, heard a lot about you. No this was on the bench, I had half of a half shaft I was testing with. Half of my original axle that popped when I applied a bit too much power. I was just making sure the axle fit the transmission before spending grand and half on it. I just hope the B000 lives up to the hype.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after some reading and searching. I found that it is best to use Honda MTF in the new transmission. However I also found notes that I should be using Motul FF type 2 since I am putting in a MFactory LSD with the carbon synchrotech rebuild kit. Which of these is actually best for it? I am more concerned with longevity than performance.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
361 Posts
If you're using Synchrotech's carbon rebuild kit, why not just use their branded version of Torco MTF?

I don't know if it is different than regular Torco MTF, but this is what they say is compatible with the carbon lining bonded to the synchros.

Other fluids might work fine as well from stories around the net, but why risk it? Synchrotech took the time to determine that this fluid works to their specifications with those carbon synchros, sold. I ran it in mine, no problems while my engine lasted lol.

This MTF is also recommended for the MFactory helical LSD.

torcomtf.png

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
10w-30

or support a site sponsor ^^^^

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
I haven't asked Britney @ Synchrotech about their version of Torco Fluid. I make sure to do that when I order parts tomorrow.

Unless you can get the original Honda MTF that STINKS!, the rest is pisswater.

50/50 Mix of Torco RTF and MTF is what my customers use in SCCA race transmissions and I used on the street in my CRX.

10w30 works, even with Torsen style LSD's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts