Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had planned everything out and ordered my bottom end kit with .5mm overbore P29 pistons, and the block has already been bored. However, I happened on some rods with standard size 86/87 A1 flat top pistons already on them. Now, I would prefer to use those over the new ones because of the -.2 CR difference, but how bad of an idea is it to use standard pistons in bored block? I've seen plenty of V8 guys run standard pistons in much larger bored blocks, and the rings seem to take up the extra space well enough

PS - it's going to be a turbo DOHC

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
the rings are prob gonna be a lil big for the pistons and they prob wont seat right if you try to use the A1 pistons...a .2 CR change is not enough to really even worry about.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Whatever shop bored the block without having pistons needs to be shut down! Dont do it. Or go ahead and then let us say "we told ya so"

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
And they wanted the pistons before they bored it, but I told them I wasn't going to have them for a few weeks and they went ahead and did it anyway.
this statement alone tells me you should not be building any engine. you might have got lucky with an acceptable piston to wall clearance, but i doubt it.....

:TD: to having a block bored out w/o giving/having the pistons.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
lol, damn, yeah I wouldnt, im already building up my D16Z6 cause this Y7 block with vitara pistons STD bore, has .007 piston/wall clearence. Ive got lil over 1000miles on it so far. No blow by, no leaks, no smoke. perfect compression.But i can hear the piston slap when its cold. fuck that.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Whatever shop bored the block without having pistons needs to be shut down! Dont do it. Or go ahead and then let us say "we told ya so"
x2 :TU:

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Just curious :p

And they wanted the pistons before they bored it, but I told them I wasn't going to have them for a few weeks and they went ahead and did it anyway. Pistons fit though
Are you serious??? You seriously need to put the tools down and read a book first.. How in the hell do you bore a block without pistons????

·
Registered
180 Posts
i don't know how you've survived in this world this long... but have you ever been to a parts store? they have what i like to call "destruction manuals" or pretty much a teardown and rebuild books, for ex. chilton, hanes...

·
Registered
308 Posts
lol, damn, yeah I wouldnt, im already building up my D16Z6 cause this Y7 block with vitara pistons STD bore, has .007 piston/wall clearence. Ive got lil over 1000miles on it so far. No blow by, no leaks, no smoke. perfect compression.But i can hear the piston slap when its cold. fuck that.

You must be crazy!!! I put p29 in mine and the piston/wall clerance was 0.0016 and that was minimum on nippon pistons. All four cylinders is bored after each piston becaus the aren´t exactly the same diameter.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
We all have to learn from our mistakes sometime ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts