Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 98 cx hatchback and as you all know, it has the great under powered d17y7 -____- . since the only way to actually get a good amount of power in a d16 is to go turbo, i decided to do a mini me swap with a y8 head, and swap in either a ex or si tranny. but thats not the question. ive done my research on what parts im going with so far im going with the go autoworks turbo kit with cp forged 9:1 pistons eagle rods and z6 crank, and ofcourse a whole new fuel system including a walbro 250lph, aem fuel rail and thinking about going with 510cc evo injectors.
but the thing i cant decide so far is to either go stand alone or go piggy bank because i have a obd2 car and i live in ny (obd inspection) and its going to be a pain to swap out the turbo set up, so what do you guys think?

is it worth the pain to swap out the setup and get a stand alone? or should i get something like a greddy emanage ulitmate, or aim f/ic?
i did read that the greddy emanage is a bad *** system and its like haveing a standalone but its still going to have limited abilities.

please help

o and my whp goal is around 275-300 whp

·
Registered
68 Posts
If your goal is that low i dont see why you wouldn't go to RCautoworks for their piston/rod combo. It would be alot cheaper and easily make your goal and be dependable with a decent tune.

·
Registered
504 Posts
does NY do emissions by tailpipe test or by scanning your ecu? I've seen different states do different things. If by ecu, I agree with above, Just put stock injectors/ecu in the car for the test (don't hot rod the car like this) and then swap back in obd1 afterwards.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Spend the money on better injectors (or anything else) than on the fuel rail. You can keep the stock rail for north of 100hp over your current goal.

Keep it simple for as long as you can. Get it tuned on a "standalone" (obd1 ecu), then swap back to the stock ecu & injectors when you go for emissions. Make sure to take the WG spring out and remove a clamp on a coupler somewhere between the turbo outlet and the throttle body. That should prevent any unintended boosting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spend the money on better injectors (or anything else) than on the fuel rail. You can keep the stock rail for north of 100hp over your current goal.

Keep it simple for as long as you can. Get it tuned on a "standalone" (obd1 ecu), then swap back to the stock ecu & injectors when you go for emissions. Make sure to take the WG spring out and remove a clamp on a coupler somewhere between the turbo outlet and the throttle body. That should prevent any unintended boosting.
so rc injectors would be better probably with more compacity huh?
thats a good idea, but just wondering why do i have to take off the wg spring if i take off one of the claps and coupler?

If your goal is that low i dont see why you wouldn't go to RCautoworks for their piston/rod combo. It would be alot cheaper and easily make your goal and be dependable with a decent tune.
i checked them out, thanks for the website btw, they are a lot cheaper and there's a lot of people running vitaras, but aren't they low compression and can affect the cars drivebility when before getting in boost? its my dd sorry forgot to mention that

·
Registered
962 Posts
greddy e-manage blue will work for your goal. i have done 250whp on a obd2 crv b20b with 390cc injectors with this setup. o2 sensor must be removed from exhaust stream to disable close loop.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you considered swapping clusters? I believe that NY runs the same as PA does for milage. Meaning if your under a certain number of miles each year, then they don't do a emission check. Though it's illegal, most guys go get their cars inspected, afterwards, change the clusters out, drive around all year, then swap the cluster back in. To the state it looks like you've only driven a few miles if that. Though this is just my opinion, and I wouldn't recommend that you do such an illegal act..... Just sayin'

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe NY runs a obd inspection for I wanna say 96 and up. So whatever he does it's gonna have to work around that. I have friends up in the Empire state that won't buy the newer cars because they don't want to mess with the inspection. Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I believe NY runs a obd inspection for I wanna say 96 and up. So whatever he does it's gonna have to work around that. I have friends up in the Empire state that won't buy the newer cars because they don't want to mess with the inspection. Good luck with the build.
imo newer is better because your just fooling your ecu not the big bag sniffer.
My old 94 del sol fail because it was like 2 points over. Then i went again a few weeks later and it passed under 60-70points of the limit.

with the obd2 scan it just really checks for codes, if the second o2 is reading and does a system check.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The older cars don't have the emissions inspection, hence why my friends like the older models.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts