Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys,

so i sent my head to have my valve seats cut for my new supertech valves, in a reputable shop in my country.

i installed the valves and springs today and i noticed that the valves are staggered and not in the same level,

i cant go to the shop today cause they are closed for the weekend so i'm asking here,

is that ok? i'm guessing no but what do i know, maby somone didnt look at the gauge when cutting the seats?

thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Measure installed height, shim the valvespring to maintain seat pressure, and you will be okay. If i remember correctly the installed height it 2.11 in for a y8 head. Look it up.

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
has nothing to do with the valve spring seats.

What is the installed spring height?
Exactly. The spring is under pressure so the valves don't open up. Either your valve is longer or shorter, or the valve seat in the combustion chamber is out of wack.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the guides? they are oem never been touched,

i'm not talking about the the springs seats, i'm talking about the valve seat, edited in first message,

each spring will have a different hight as you can see,

the valves are all in the same length.

it seeme like the shop didnt cut all the seats to the same depth,

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
For future reference, where do you get the shims?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for the record:
new supertech valves.
new bisimoto valves and reteinrs.
old valve seats, just had them cut fresh,
old valve guides.

i will post pics in a few mins (bat is charging)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yup, it has some angle, actualy all the left exhaust valves has a slight angle thats odd since the old oem valves didnt show any signs of wear, :S spooky :O

does anyone have a stripped z6 head for refference?

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Which country ?
If this is India. Then yes this is a common problem.
The height variation comes from hand cutting the valve seats. So all the valves are now sitting at different heights.
You need to take it back and make sure the valve seat depth is the same on all valves.
Very hard to achieve when the seats are hand cut. Very easy to achieve when they are CNC cut on a proper valve cutting machine.

THe angle variation comes from the fact that most high Miles Heads have their Ex. Valve guides worn beyond factory recommendations. Did you check your Valve Guide Inner Dia ? Almost every single Head I have touched with more than 1 Lakh kms on it have valve guides that need replacing. Esp. on the Exhaust side.
This is a common problem in developing countries for two reasons
A. The oil we use in our engines is crap.
B. We do not change the oil frequently enough.

Will it work ?
Yes it will.

Will it perform.
You may have a slight hit in power output. Not that you would even feel it.
The reason they are asking you for the pics of the head side is so that they can see the variation in how the valves are sitting in the bowl.
I would also spec out any After Market parts you get with a Mic. Ive learned the hard way not to trust anything after market.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm from israel, the cuts were made by a serdi/sardi machine and not by hand.
the valve seat depth is not the same for all valves,

i took it to the shop and they said its ok, if it seals ok, but i dont trust them, and i dont want them to recut the seats since i dont trust them,

the valve guides are within tolorance,

uploading pics now,

i think i'm gonna install it as is,

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Like Ron said. Not ideal, but not a real problem re seat depth unless the chamber side is sunk enough to drop compression or shroud the valves.

If the guides are worn enough to get a noticable lean, that's more of a problem.

If the valve springs are not at correct installed height which is likely, that can be more of a problem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oops, i was wrong, the right intake valves are the ones look as it has an angle, and not the left exhaust valves,

anywhore, here are the combustion chamber pics:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the guides are not worn at all,
the valve spring hight is determaind directly by how much you cut the from the seat and thats the reason it shows that some are lower,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts