Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently running a Crower Stage 2 NA cam in my turbo setup . if i switch it to a crower stage 2 turbo cam , how much gains roughly am i looking at . i just wanna see if its worth it swappin !

O

·
0 Posts
it's hard to say, but ti will help smooth the transition of boosting and how it come into play, it will help with overall power across the board not jsut top end. it's a better design for turbo for sure and I'm pretty certain your get some gains all around.

O

·
0 Posts
I would advise you to take that NA cam out, and put in at least a stock cam until you get the turbo cam. Im sure that cam is working against you.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
i don't know about that, i've heard of people using hi comp pistons and stage 3 na cam on turbo setups with good results.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
jimmyb34 said:
beretta on here runs a stage 2 na cam i believe and was running 12's

Yes sir I was, I ran a Exospeed Stage 3 Regrind in my built turbo @ 9 psi, and it had a crazy ass topend for only being a 42/48 turbo :) Turbo cams are a waste of Money IMO. They even out the duration between exhaust/intake valves, to where NA cam of course gives way more lift which helps get more AIR in @ a time.

P

·
0 Posts
soo it seems as though a turbo cam would make for a good street turbo set up? and a n/a cam in a turbo would make more lag but would hit harder in the top end suitable for a track car? or is the lag even that drastic?

O

·
0 Posts
berettagtz117 said:
Yes sir I was, I ran a Exospeed Stage 3 Regrind in my built turbo @ 9 psi, and it had a crazy ass topend for only being a 42/48 turbo :) Turbo cams are a waste of Money IMO. They even out the duration between exhaust/intake valves, to where NA cam of course gives way more lift which helps get more AIR in @ a time.
youi actually contridicted yourself.

Do you guys understand the differences in lift vs duration?

basically higher lift meand opened up further and maybe slightly linger. which longer meand duration. thus a turbo cam essentualyl does the same thing as an NA cam w/o stressing the valvetrain like the Na cam will on a FI system. cyclinder pressures, heat ofrm the FI in general and amount of gases make the turbo cam a better choice for FI because tie duration needs to be longer. by rule of thumb, a turbo cam will keep the valves open for a linger period of time over a NA cam and more often the exhaust side is open longer than the intake because it needs to get rid of the wasted gases. in a turbo app once it starts spooling it starts putting a tone of stress on the valve train thus higher lift cam in the long run can lead to premature valvetrain damage/ failuer and even wear out the springs sooner.

these cams are not designed the way they are got just labels, there are mechanical reasons behind why they are designed they way they are.

I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
punx04 said:
soo it seems as though a turbo cam would make for a good street turbo set up? and a n/a cam in a turbo would make more lag but would hit harder in the top end suitable for a track car? or is the lag even that drastic?
NA cam takes away lag. My buddy took his stock cam and put in a Zex 59300 that I sold him and he got boost about 500 RPMS earlier and had a way better top end also..

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
oscarmayer said:
youi actually contridicted yourself.

Do you guys understand the differences in lift vs duration?

basically higher lift meand opened up further and maybe slightly linger. which longer meand duration. thus a turbo cam essentualyl does the same thing as an NA cam w/o stressing the valvetrain like the Na cam will on a FI system. cyclinder pressures, heat ofrm the FI in general and amount of gases make the turbo cam a better choice for FI because tie duration needs to be longer. by rule of thumb, a turbo cam will keep the valves open for a linger period of time over a NA cam and more often the exhaust side is open longer than the intake because it needs to get rid of the wasted gases. in a turbo app once it starts spooling it starts putting a tone of stress on the valve train thus higher lift cam in the long run can lead to premature valvetrain damage/ failuer and even wear out the springs sooner.

these cams are not designed the way they are got just labels, there are mechanical reasons behind why they are designed they way they are.

I hope this helps some.
Well I know what is good, I have ran all three different types of cams, and NA cams give better #'s and way more Top end Bottom line..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts