Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, are stg 1 cams worth a shit with boosted d's? I know they suck for NA because they only give like 2-3whp lol but I didn't know if it might be around 9-10whp on a boosted application. I had a stage 2 on my NA y8 and it netted me around 8-10whp according to the dyno. But I blew it up that same day b/c I had stock retainers. I don't want to have to buy springs and retainers this time and I figured I might get that same power out of a stg 1 on a boosted app anyway. Anyone know?

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm do you know from experience or what? I wish I could find some dyno's of them on a boosted application so I'd know for sure. I don't want anything that's going to give a HUGE increase in power. Just something that'll show me another 9-10whp. I just looked at the ZEX stage 1 specs and it has a pretty good amount of lift but not that much duration. That might be a good choice for a stage 1 on a boosted car. Not really sure of the stock z6 specs though so I can't exactly compare at the moment

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
i bought a skunk2 cam for my setup.

Every little bit will count. I dont see any reason why you wouldnt see significant gains with a cam, stage 1 or otherwise. Im pretty sure mines a stg 1 as well, but skunk2's stg 1 has alot of lift i believe.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
i talked to the guys at my local shop and they say stock cams are great for boost apps.

they also built a 10sec eg hatch, s2000 .....etc.

·
Registered
854 Posts
dont buy cams for boosted motors! Even "turbo cams" are a waste of money...
this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard :sadface:

a properly designed and timed cam when boosted makes a HUGE difference in power. by dialing in cam overlap on DOHC engines, you can see gains of 15-20whp even at low boost. of course on SOHC engines, overlap is controlled by the cam.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree. I can see where even some turbo cams would be good for NA engines. The crowers are not that far off. In fact, in my OPINION, some turbo cams might perform better if you do not plan to rev the crap out of your motor. You probably get more area under the curve with the profile of SOME turbo cams vs a NA designed profile, which probably netting the most peak HP, but losing torque, etc in most of your driving RPM range.... Just all depends what you are looking for....

Jason

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason I want a cam is so that I can run 8-9lbs and still get as much power as I would at 10lbs w/ out putting as much stress on the bottom end. Thanks for all the replies. I need to hear something from some more people that have actually used stage 1 cams...preferably on a boost app

·
Registered
854 Posts
The reason I want a cam is so that I can run 8-9lbs and still get as much power as I would at 10lbs w/ out putting as much stress on the bottom end.
don't be confused... with proper tuning, it's not the psi level that determines engine stress, it's the amount of power made.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I wouldnt waste money on a stage 1 for any application. Its bairly better than stock... Not worth the money or the time to put it in...

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will not buy another stage 2 cam w/ out a valve train. I did that last time and dropped a valve and fucked up my whole motor. I talked to a guy one here that has the ZEX stage 1 cam with boost and he said it made a tremendous difference in low end and top end.

·
Registered
854 Posts
as long as the valvetrain doesn't have a ton of miles, and is in good working order, you won't need springs or retainers for a stage2 cam if you keep it under 8k. i had a zex 59300 in my old SOHC ZC VTEC, sold it, and the kid who bought it from me ran the engine to 8k every day for 2 years.

once you get into the big crower 2+ cams, then you need springs.

the SOHC valvetrain is much lighter than DOHC yet SOHC have rates that are comparable, so they can take a lot more abuse.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.