Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help deciding what stage 1 cam to get. I do not want to upgrade valvetrain at the time and want one i can just drop in. Everything I research seems that Crower stage one lift/duration differs a lot from Skunk2 and they differ a lot from comp cams. Which is the best? I cant find dyno sheets anywhere do I want as high lift and long duration as I can get? also would it be advantageous to get an adjustable cam gear as well? I know some advance timing with a cam. Thank you.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Save your money and get a stage 2 with valvetrain. Not only will you get more power but be able to rev higher.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Crower is a great brand you can't go wrong there, unless you want to upgrade springs/retainers stay stage 1.

Crower is pretty much dead on as far as cam timing, you would really only need one if your head was milled or your block decked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know the max. lift stock VTEC spring can take?

Ive also heard of people running the crower stg. 2 w/ no valvetrain upgrades and no issues...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is the risk of running stage 2 on stock components a valve spring breaking? or is it just valve float?

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
i have a skunk2 for sale. check the forsale section or pm me if you are interested. i will hook you up. you dont need to upgrade valvetrain if you dont want to yet.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,870 Posts
idk about everyone else.. i ran a cam that came out of an 10 second all motor crx d16z6... and i ran it on stock valvesprings stock retainers.. well stock everything.. just put the cam in and go..and.. i pegged my tach past 9k plenty of times on a d16z6 WITH NO FLOAT....

it depends on the cam honestly.. if you have a cam where there is alot of lift and not much duration.. you might consider valvesprings.. or maybe want valvesprings..

but if you have a cam with alot of duration and less lift.. stock springs are fine because they dont have to shut as fast as a cam with more lift and less duration...

with having more lift and less duration.. the valves open and close rapidly where high rpm with stock springs may float.. having a cam that will stay open longer with the more duration doesnt put as much strees on the valvesprings because they dont have to open and close as fast

hope that helps you decide

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I need help deciding what stage 1 cam to get. I do not want to upgrade valvetrain at the time and want one i can just drop in.
Slow down now partner, you dont just drop on a cam, it takes a long time to install, time and tune your car. It is a fairly big project and you might want to consider waiting if you are going to upgrade eventually anyway.

·
Registered
435 Posts
comp cams all the way have installed crower before dont like it if your going to upgrade your cam no matter what you choose stage 1 or 2 just make sure you get the correct valve springs if they are required do it right the first time not wrong twice

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
Slow down now partner, you dont just drop on a cam, it takes a long time to install, time and tune your car. It is a fairly big project and you might want to consider waiting if you are going to upgrade eventually anyway.
takes an hour tops..stage 1 cams generally run best on stock cam postion..

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
im running a stage 3 exospeed on stock valvetrain.. have for quite sometime with no problems.....
don't you mean.. no valvetrain problems, mister 'my car doesn't run well enough to go to wendy's'?

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
takes an hour tops..stage 1 cams generally run best on stock cam postion..
When I put my stage 2 in it took longer than I thought. I also had to put springs and retainers in too. I got on it at about 9:00am one Sat. and got done about 6:00pm that nite. Now I did have to go and get a few things from Advanced and went to Taco Hell, but I just took my time and made sure things were torques right, double checked everything also. Now I just got a block from a buddy of mine and guess what happened to it. He was drivin and...:shocked: ...valve hit the piston, he had a stage2 zex cam, with stock valve springs.:mad:

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
When I put my stage 2 in it took longer than I thought. I also had to put springs and retainers in too. I got on it at about 9:00am one Sat. and got done about 6:00pm that nite. Now I did have to go and get a few things from Advanced and went to Taco Hell, but I just took my time and made sure things were torques right, double checked everything also. Now I just got a block from a buddy of mine and guess what happened to it. He was drivin and...:shocked: ...valve hit the piston, he had a stage2 zex cam, with stock valve springs.:mad:
springs/retainers take more time.i was refering to a simple cam swap...shouldnt take longer than an hour.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts