Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got an ss autochrome turbo kit? If so how was it?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've heard a lot of bad things about ss autochrome/xspower. My friend bought a kit with the external wastegate mani, it was made so poorly slag would have killed the turbo, he sold it and got a tubular mani. As far as the turbo goes, i know a guy with an ls/vtec using a t3/t4 hybrid, and the turbo failed at about 8 months, the shaft was all scoured, and he pulled it off because it was leaking oil from somewhere, dont know where exactly. I'd wait around a bit and hear what others have to say, maybe get some first hand info on it, thats just what ive seen.

And for the price of that turbo kit, you could find yourself a 16g off an eclipse, if not a whole setup, for around 300-600 dollars depending on where you look. I'd look around first and see what out there, youd be suprised the prices of some things.

D

·
0 Posts
seriously search the site yo weve covered this a billion times. "CRAP" typically the manis break

T

·
0 Posts
haha yeah I have read al the horror stories. Best to avoid there products.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
there products arent the best, however they did redesign the mani, we ran a kit on my friends hatch it worked ok no problems from here and i got a friend running there turbo right now and its been fine as well going on about 9 months. if your looking for a turbo kit just build your own.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
SOHC_Rules said:
^^ i was lookin at a couple of their turbos on ebay....
if you are looking for GOOD turbos on eBay, search for the used down2turbo. he has several on there now that are rebuilt and prety damn reasonable. there have been great reviews of his turbos on HMT and HT :TU:

the t3/t4 he has listed it catching my eye :smile:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have an ssac turbo manifold, 2.5" downpipe & tdo4 turbo of theirs. i will be installing within the next two weeks. i am getting a brace welded on from the manifold to turbo flange down to the bolt where the ac compressor bracket used to be. i might make a brace for the turbo as well. i got the whole kit for $100 brand new in box.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
ryan89crx said:
if you are looking for GOOD turbos on eBay, search for the used down2turbo. he has several on there now that are rebuilt and prety damn reasonable. there have been great reviews of his turbos on HMT and HT :TU:

the t3/t4 he has listed it catching my eye :smile:
I'm using the T3 from them. No complaints....

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Really cheap just like there quality..

·
Registered
1992 Honda Civic SiR
194 Posts
Actual I think ss auto chrome is good, What is bad is the XS power turbo's. If you go to homemade turbo .com those guys have been running those turbo's for a year with no problem. IN the begining of ss auto chrome they came with XS power turbo's witch gave then a bad name. Now there turbo's a garret and ffer life time warrenty on the turbo so I dought they would offer lifetime warrenty on junk turbo's. However I believe that the turbo manifold's that ss autochrome has are junk. My friends car had one for a year and it cracked, hen purchaed another ss autochrome manifold and it cracked a week later when he went over a set of train tax's. So the ss auto chrome kit's are good if you plan to swap out the manifold.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
civicspy70 said:
Actual I think ss auto chrome is good, What is bad is the XS power turbo's. If you go to homemade turbo .com those guys have been running those turbo's for a year with no problem. IN the begining of ss auto chrome they came with XS power turbo's witch gave then a bad name. Now there turbo's a garret and ffer life time warrenty on the turbo so I dought they would offer lifetime warrenty on junk turbo's. However I believe that the turbo manifold's that ss autochrome has are junk. My friends car had one for a year and it cracked, hen purchaed another ss autochrome manifold and it cracked a week later when he went over a set of train tax's. So the ss auto chrome kit's are good if you plan to swap out the manifold.
what are you talking about?? XSpower IS ssauto...look on ebay and see who sells those turbos...ssautochrome

·
Registered
a car
862 Posts
just read a thread on honda tech about their turbo being glued together... ssautochrome customer service seemed to be great in responding to his complaint and heard their manifolds are better braced now... but ever try contacting them? lucky to get a reponse to your email!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
1991rex said:
just read a thread on honda tech about their turbo being glued together...
thats oldschool stuff. nobody even really knows where that pic came from. apparrently there was another company selling similar turbos passing them off as ssauto. a knock off of a knock off...wierd huh?

·
Banned
443 Posts
ryan89crx said:
thats oldschool stuff. nobody even really knows where that pic came from. apparrently there was another company selling similar turbos passing them off as ssauto. a knock off of a knock off...wierd huh?
SS Auto had a page about how to tell their XS Power turbos from the knock-off ones that came with a glued compressor housing, in response to the glued on comp housing claims. There was a good round of dark humored chuckling on HMT when someone pulled a picture of an SSAC kit, off of SSAC's site, that had all the distinguishing marks of the "copycat" XS Power turbo.

Common sense dictates... if you are going to copy a turbo, you copy a Brand Name. XS Who??? Two years ago nobody knew who they were. Why would you copy that?

SSAC's quality is all over the place. The current run of turbos is supposed to do okay, the ICs and BOVs are good inexpensive units, everything else needs an eye kept on it... better yet don't run it unless it's free and you're willing to reweld the mani or risk your engine when a wastegate diaphragm tears.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Joseph Davis said:
There was a good round of dark humored chuckling on HMT when someone pulled a picture of an SSAC kit, off of SSAC's site, that had all the distinguishing marks of the "copycat" XS Power turbo.
that was me that posted that, lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts