Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted your opinions on a small dilemma I was having with my turbo build, I have decided to go with a 57 trim turbo with a .63 AR. Which I can get reman. (.60/.63) For $600 shipped or I was thinking of buying a SSAC turbo(.50/.63) and having it rebuilt by Blaast and that would cost about $450 total. Either way I will end up with a reman. turbo just not sure it its worth the extra money to get an actual Garrett with a slightly bigger compressor. Also i want a 5 bolt turbine due to fitment issues.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You can go either way...I went with a ssac turbo originally and i had blaast rebuild it, it was fucking trashed...I havent run it yet but from what blaast told me the ssac housings are perfectally fine to use. If buying the ssac turbo and having it re-built is cheaper and its size still falls within your goals i'd go with that...Just dont run it as a full ssac turbo.

EDIT: Make sure blaast can re-build it because some of the chineese sizes they cant rebuild.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sorry, I missed the point of your question...

Personally, I'd spend a little more up front just for peace of mind. I wouldn't want to gamble on a SSAC turbo, and then find it can't be rebuilt, or would be more expensive than originally planned. What was Blaast's confidence?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read the email from them again they said the one they could'nt rebuild was a "t-72". And its the same size turbo that JFK uses and he made as much as the .06/.63 so it i can still get a reliable turbo for $150 cheaper i think im just gonna go with the SSAC rebuilt and use the money eslewhere in the build.
Thanks for the input guys.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I thought of that too ryan but i think that that would probably make it more worth while to just buy the Garrett reman. at that point since cost would probably be real close.
first thing to do is ask if they do it and how much. it could be cheaper than you expect

id search the forums and try to buy a blown *********** meow 57trim for CHEAP, then send it in for rebuild. you could probably be out the door for $300

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking around for blown chinese turbos but i was afriad that they would need wheels or something major and it would end up costing more in the end. I will be emailing Blaast to find out the cost for the upragede comperssor housing though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
dont let price determine your turbo. i could see if it was ajunkyard kit but if your buying a new turbo you might as well get a new one with warranty and you can avoid the hassle of sending your turbo to two different people. why buy a cheap turbo that you know is junk? it doesnt make sense!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do get a warranty with the rebuilt SSAC from Blaast, the same as the remans they sell and if its capable of doing the same thing as the Garrett why would'nt I save the money and put it to use elsewhere in the build.

And if they are going to cost close to the same i will go with the Garrett but I dont think it will.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I do get a warranty with the rebuilt SSAC from Blaast, the same as the remans they sell and if its capable of doing the same thing as the Garrett why would'nt I save the money and put it to use elsewhere in the build.

And if they are going to cost close to the same i will go with the Garrett but I dont think it will.
a warranty doesn't save you the trouble of having to pull the damn thing off when it fucks up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.