Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I've first bought my 94 Civic Vx from over the last year, the SRS light has been on constantly. I like many others have attempted to reset the SRS with a paper clip; however in my case, that method hasn't been successful. The end result is that the light blinks twice and then remains solid again.

At this point, I'm looking for a write-up, so that I can retrieve the fault codes from the SRS airbag system and directly diagnose the problem. From what I understand, it could involve something as simple as the seat belt buckle switch, all the up to the SRS unit itself.
In the end, my ultimate goal is to fix the underlying problem, rather than to merely turn off the light.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did it on my 95 dx a couple months ago, I found it easier to use 2 paperclips. And how many times did you do the process?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It wont reset cause there is a major problem, disable the SRS and remove the light will be the fast and cheap route.

Full SRS code list - Honda-Tech
Respectfully, that's the route I'm trying to avoid. The question is whether or not, the system is salvageable. How do I retrieve the trouble codes and how do I fix the problem? If not, I may be able to get the entire SRS from a donor car; but first, how do I diagnose the problem?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
to pull the SRS codes, jump the memory connector then turn on the ignition. the SRS light will come on after 6 seconds, then go out, then it will blink the codes. I'm not 100% sure on 92-95 codes but for 96-00 any code starting with 1 long flash is driver airbag, any code starting with 2 long flashes is passenger airbag, any code starting with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 long flashes is the SRS controller, and the light not coming on or staying solid is the circuit for the dash light. there's more to each specific code but that's pretty much the basic gist.

if you get a code for the control unit it's easier/cheaper to just buy a new one rather than trying to figure out what the internal issue may be, but the kicker is that Honda used different manufacturers to source SRS parts, at least from 96-00, and you can't mix and match bags and brains. so if you do need to replace a component it has to be at least from the same year and most likely from the same domestic market.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Respectfully, that's the route I'm trying to avoid. The question is whether or not, the system is salvageable. How do I retrieve the trouble codes and how do I fix the problem? If not, I may be able to get the entire SRS from a donor car; but first, how do I diagnose the problem?
Pull the codes, short the SCS and the light will flash the codes. Then use the link I post to find out what the codes are. Then download a FSM and read how to fix it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to pull the SRS codes, jump the memory connector then turn on the ignition. the SRS light will come on after 6 seconds, then go out, then it will blink the codes. I'm not 100% sure on 92-95 codes but for 96-00 any code starting with 1 long flash is driver airbag, any code starting with 2 long flashes is passenger airbag, any code starting with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 long flashes is the SRS controller, and the light not coming on or staying solid is the circuit for the dash light. there's more to each specific code but that's pretty much the basic gist.

if you get a code for the control unit it's easier/cheaper to just buy a new one rather than trying to figure out what the internal issue may be, but the kicker is that Honda used different manufacturers to source SRS parts, at least from 96-00, and you can't mix and match bags and brains. so if you do need to replace a component it has to be at least from the same year and most likely from the same domestic market.[/QUOTE

With the paper clip, all I'm getting are two short blinks after 6 six seconds, before going solid again.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
You have a decent video camera? Make a YouTube video of the process

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like code 1-1 (open in driver's airbag inflator). The fact that light stays on steady after blinking the code indicates an intermittent rather than constant problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts