Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I bought a 96 Civic EX with 314000 miles on it about a month ago and the srs light is on and my cruise dont work. I did the reset thing where u unhook the yellow wire in the fuse area and when i do it, the light comes right back on. The guy i bought if from said the srs light came on when he changed out the headlights bulbs. I drive the interstate everyday to and from work and would love to get my cruise control working again. I also took the dash out and disconected the yellow wire going to the cluster just to get the srs light off. I cant stand having any light on like that.

·
Registered
1990 cvc
178 Posts
U should go to autozone or some other shoo that can scan that code cuz there might be another problem ......

Just my 0.02 cents

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
I have a version of this problem. Does your horn work? There is a littke yellow wheel behind the steering wheel, not sure what its called. but it transfers the electric signals from the wheel to the car. This would include your airbag (srs) and cruise control, and typically horn in the steering wheel. If this piece is taken off and not put on correctly (which is what I did :pinch: ) when you turn the steering wheel all the way to one or the other side, it will break this piece and kill the electric connections.

You need a new one of these:

EDIT: it's called a clock spring

·
Registered
1990 cvc
178 Posts
Yep that can be the problem too and i think its called a "clockspring" or so ive heard.....

Shoot!!!
xylocramer.....saw your edit after i posted it loooool

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, my born doesn't work also. That's a werid name for a part lol. So thats between the steering wheel and the column and is this a special order part or something I can pick up at autozone? I hope that what it is cause I really want my cruise back.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
I would be vvveeeeeeerrrryy surprised if a regular parts store had one.

·
Registered
539 Posts
No, my born doesn't work also. That's a werid name for a part lol. So thats between the steering wheel and the column and is this a special order part or something I can pick up at autozone? I hope that what it is cause I really want my cruise back.

Www.autozone.com

·
Registered
91 Civic
1,183 Posts
it called the cable reel make sure you have the steering wheel center when you remove the old one and have the new reel centered when you put it on. Otherwise you will snap the fine wires inside during your next U-turn. just spin it al the way one way and then count the turns to going the other way then center.

parts stores will most likely not have it a it is part of the srs sys ether a dealer or picknpull.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just looked on ebay for one and they only had 2. One was $69 and the other was $75. One new from the Honda dealership, around $250. I'm going to make a few calls around here in the morning and see if I can find one and try pull-a-part.

The way some of these drivers drive around here in Alabama, I need my horn. Almost got side whiped twice this week. I need the born so they see the bird flying lmao.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts