Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to make a monster like the 4 door guy did... but which pistons should i use??? everyones saying srps are better than the vitaras because the vitaras has slap and i need experience to tell me whats up...

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Talked to my friend at ARIAS and he said the Vitaras are fine. But the valve pockets on the pistons are in the wrong spot. Never ssaw one myself so Im not sure that would be an issue.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I am biased because my dad has used ARIAS since the late 60's. But If you have to put another name on your product to try and sell it??? (*scratching head*). Actually my friend thats at ARIAS use to work for JE also. At first he didnt like the way ARIAS made their sport compact pistons. So he changed it. Besides I get them cheap

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
SRP = JE they are made on the same assembly line and same plants! i un the .020 SRP's JE WILL custom make you a piston for your application but it costs a little more!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'd take vitaras

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
everyones saying srps are better than the vitaras because the vitaras has slap
they only slap/buzz/"that diesel sound" because the piston to cylinder gap is too large or the bore is not square (due to it only being honed vs boring it to an oversize).

but thats for people using the standard bore pistons. now if you get the oversized ones you can fit the piston to cylinder you should not have this problem.

but most just get the std bore ones and live with it.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
depends on how out of square you are. best to wait till the block is torn down. then after you guage the cylinders, buy your pistons as your block requires.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
ok... well what if its about normal??? just buy the reg vitaras?
im having the same dilemma as you right now except, my block is in the shop right now and my builder is recommending that i dont install the vitaras due to clearances issues.

i recently made a thread on this as well.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60743

hope it helps you, i still havent decided yet.

what about Wiseco's how are those compared to the SRP's?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
ok... well what if its about normal??? just buy the reg vitaras?
depends on how far off you are. but alas it is all up to you. most people running them have had no problems with them (engine wise) being a little "loose" in the cylinder. and if you don't mind waiting a little while for the engine to warm up and finish expanding, then get them.

imho: i warm my car for like 5 mins anyway, so a little noise during start up would not bother me. but alas i was way way way out of square and went with a set or .020 over SRPs.

·
Registered
822 Posts
SRP = JE they are made on the same assembly line and same plants! i un the .020 SRP's JE WILL custom make you a piston for your application but it costs a little more!
^^^That's the truth!

And you know what? The reason people have problems with these pistons is because they don't know what they are doing and tune it their engine wrong and detonation blows a hole through them! Other than that... I haven't heard anything wrong with them.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok well ill just go with the srp's that way they're forged good name brand and i know they will work right! thx

1 - 20 of 67 Posts