Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my names Anderson and I am the proud owner of a 2000 civic si clone with a y8. I picked it up from my cousins friend because he didn't have the time to fix the rod bearing. My question is can I swap in a z6? I've heard they are more reliable than a y8. He gave me a spare tuned p28 ecu from his previous eg hatch build. I live in Florida so no smog or any of that. I just want it to run. I was thinking of picking up an engine from a junkyard and changing the seals and throwing it in to daily drive. This is my first car but I've worked on my cousins Sr20ve sentra before so I'm not a total car virgin. Any input would be very helpful

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Dude, By the time you swap in a new engine and ECU you couldve just sent the block to get cleaned up and rebuilt. Y8's are pretty reliable unless someone loves the redline.

IDK why kids love to run their engine in the red.

RPM = Ruins Peoples Motors

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PO said the engine had 230,xxx miles on it. How much is a rebuild and what is included? Do they machine the crank or should I buy a crank that didn't spin a bearing? I've read of people machining their cranks and they end up spinning bearings again.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,900 Posts
Replacement blocks can be found way cheaper than a rebuild

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
If you do plan on rebuilding it and the crank needs to be turned down for a fresh surface. Personally I would try to get a difference crank that was not turned in good condition. But people have used turned cranks without issue. I just wouldn't be one of them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I do get a motor from the junkyard it will be compression tested and the bearings will be inspected by a mechanic. Id rebuild it if I could find a crankshaft but all the ones I see are going for 150+. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good crankshaft? Sorry for all the trouble.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
i just bided my time and found a minty fresh Z6 crank from a guy on here for 100 shipped from cali to tx. just gotta look and wait for deals

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need the car running by next week to be honest. Lol

I've been prowling craigslist for the past week before I even had the car and I haven't found anything.

I live in Miami by the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you really need it running drop the pan and do rod bearings. or drop a z6 in they are a lot better in my opinion. y8's got oil pump issues

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,900 Posts
if you really need it running drop the pan and do rod bearings. or drop a z6 in they are a lot better in my opinion. y8's got oil pump issues
dropping the pan and doing just bearings is not a good idea. he needs to check if there is damage to the journal first. if there is damage, fresh bearings will not fix anything

1 - 17 of 17 Posts