Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay fella's. I have built a d16z6 bottom to spec with a Y8 head. I used a D15 oil pump from a del sol.

The car was running fine and still is. It has hit its first 1k miles with 4 oil changes already. All of a sudden yesturday, after i hit vtec and stopped, the oil pressure light starting flickering on idle. When I accelerated, the light came off. I did research and found that its due to the sender unite reading under 7.5PSI at idle which causes the light to flicker.

I ran an electric autometer oil pressure guage yesturday to see were it was at and it reads below 10 psi on idle. (not too sure exactly were at idle as the guages doen not mark specific digits) I read several different "normal" psi readings from different people. Some say 10psi per 1k throttle and others say you should be no less than 60psi at 3k rpm. All I know is that the guage at 3k read about 25PSI. At 5k, it read 50psi. At WOT it read no more that 75PSI.

My question is, is this just a bad, failing pump or could I have spum a main bearing causing low oil pressure? And yes I did change the oil and oil filter to a mobile 1 filter and this morning I drove the car and the light still flickers on idle. What do you guys suggest? Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any metal shavings in the oil when you changed it? Was the oil pump new with the rebuild? How did you check clearances when you built it (machine shop, plastigauge, gauge)? I think the spec is somewhere around 8-12 psi at idle (don't quote me on this, my memory sucks), so if you are under that, then there is definately a problem. If you think your electric pressure gauge is reading in that range, then maybe you just have a faulty oil pressure sending unit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No shavings in the oil. No, the oil pump was not new when I rebuilt the motor. The motor was plastigauged. And I already changed the pressure sending unit on the back of the block and it still flickers.

I did however find some silicone in the oil filter when I changed it. I am hoping that its just that my oil pickup that clogged.

And no, the motor is not making any type of noise. That is why this baffles me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, no dented oil pan. Has anyone else had this problem??? Please give me more insight. I should be taking the oil pan off on Monday as soon as I get a new oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be air in the pickup tube. Install a mechanical gauge and report back.

Can it be possible that air gets through the pickup tube gasket. I remember that I did not use a new one. I tried to salvage the one that was on the block. But I am pretty sure that I dabbed it with a little silicone. With this cause loss of oil pressure?

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Can it be possible that air gets through the pickup tube gasket. I remember that I did not use a new one. I tried to salvage the one that was on the block. But I am pretty sure that I dabbed it with a little silicone. With this cause loss of oil pressure?
Air is compressable, and also doesnt lubricate well. If there is air getting into the system, or it is leaking from somewhere it will drop the oil pressure but the oil idiot light isnt enough info we need to know how much oil pressure its actually having at idle and at higher rpm's. Your stock pump may be bad you should allways check the clearances on it before you install it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Air is compressable, and also doesnt lubricate well. If there is air getting into the system, or it is leaking from somewhere it will drop the oil pressure but the oil idiot light isnt enough info we need to know how much oil pressure its actually having at idle and at higher rpm's. Your stock pump may be bad you should allways check the clearances on it before you install it.

Okay, What do you mean check the oil clearances on the oil pump? I did purge the oil pump and it seemed like it functioned fine. How do you check the clearances on the oil pump?

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
i would change the pump. i reused the pickup gasket and mine is fine. but in my last motor i got on it one night and when i let oil light flickered at idle and went off when i ave it gas. the next day it spun a bearing and ruined the crank. it was all cause i didnt get a new oil pump when i rebuilt that motor. it also had only 1k miles on it. i would no drive it untill you change the pump but thats me. it should be about 16psi or so at idle and if thats low it will prolly be lower then it is supposed to be at higher rpm's and thats when you need the oil the most.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Pull the valve cover. There is a 12mm sealing bolt on the distributor end of the rocker assy that likes to pop out and dump oil everywhere in VTEC. My Y8 had it pop out and ruin a bearing. My new Z6 also had it popped out when I pulled the cover Saturday...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pull the valve cover. There is a 12mm sealing bolt on the distributor end of the rocker assy that likes to pop out and dump oil everywhere in VTEC. My Y8 had it pop out and ruin a bearing. My new Z6 also had it popped out when I pulled the cover Saturday...

Yea, think I know the 12mm that you mentioned. Its the one that holds nothing down right. This caused engine bearing failure for your Y8 head. I will look into this as I also have a Y8 head.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yea, think I know the 12mm that you mentioned. Its the one that holds nothing down right. This caused engine bearing failure for your Y8 head. I will look into this as I also have a Y8 head.
That's right, it doesn't hold anything down. It is there to allow you to engage VTEC with no oil pressure (hook compressed air up to it) to test the mechanism.

However, if the bolt isn't there, oil will just gush out of that hole while in VTEC.

They seem to come out by themselves for some strange reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How does that bolt not travel though the head? I think that I woould be able to hear that come off. I will check though.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
That's right, it doesn't hold anything down. It is there to allow you to engage VTEC with no oil pressure (hook compressed air up to it) to test the mechanism.

However, if the bolt isn't there, oil will just gush out of that hole while in VTEC.

They seem to come out by themselves for some strange reason.
something aint right if your keeps coming out... i have never heard of that happening before

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, i've never heard of that happening to anyone, but I have heard crazier things from honda's before so I wont exclude it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts