Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello D-series, here I come with another weird issue.

So I managed to put my hands on the only D16A9 cam in the country (I'm in Brazil).

Everything looks fine, except one of the journals, that seems to have spun(overtorqueing maybe?).

Weird thing is that the cam looks undamaged, the metal encrusted to it is from the head. I managed to scrape part of this encrusted metal off with my fingernails, but some is still stuck to it.

How can I clean it? Will pics help? Thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
damnnnnn what the hell happended to that thing? id have it looked at by a shop an see how bad it is. but google how to clean them an with what.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Micro polish it. Use plastigauge to make sure the cam bearing clearance isn't too great.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Motor might have spun a bearing and small chucks of the bearing could have gotten lodged in the cam there. Remove the excess metal from the journal carefully and polish it up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Micro polish it. Use plastigauge to make sure the cam bearing clearance isn't too great.
I'm trying to avoid taking it to a machine shop. Any ideas of what can I do at home? Also, no plastigauge here in Brazil.

Motor might have spun a bearing and small chucks of the bearing could have gotten lodged in the cam there. Remove the excess metal from the journal carefully and polish it up.
What tool should I use to remove it. Is a dremel enough to polish it?

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Looks like oiling issue or over torquing

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is going into a D15B7.

So wait, this is a vtec cam? wtf? This is supposed to come off a 88 civic.

The only casting mark says C831

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, so I have the wrong cam. Dissassembled the D15 and found that indeed it is a no-match.

Gonna have a lil talk with the guy that sold me this.

Thank you everybody for your answers, I will distribute rep when I am less oily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts