Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spun a rod because apparently I should've checked to see if PO cleaned the pickup before I did anything SMH.
Update: should've checked the crankshaft

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fluid Bumper Automotive exterior

I'm going to have the answer after a compression test.

I don't overly want a new block because then I will have to get it machined for my vitaras (definitely my plan for the future but this is a daily so I need one working engine in car)

Videos

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
995 Posts
looks like the block has been notched. if not then the rod just self clearanced for you lol.

just looks like the rod has hit the block a bit. id take it apart (possibly need a new rod atlest have it checked that its still round) inspect the block area that there are no cracks or anything and im sure you are good. check that your crank is still in good condition as well.

with a spun bearing it will be a good idea to take everything apart and clean the piss out of it anyway.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Spun a rod because apparently I should've checked to see if PO cleaned the pickup before I did anything SMH.
View attachment 139793

I'm going to have the answer after a compression test.

I don't overly want a new block because then I will have to get it machined for my vitaras (definitely my plan for the future but this is a daily so I need one working engine in car)
Did you confirm it spun a rod?

What is the compression test going to answer? If you spun a rod?

What is the picture showing? I dont see anything but a notched block as @civicdxude called out.

Was the pickup covered with stuff? Pics?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what was in the pick-up screen?
All the metal from when the PO spun a bearing.
looks like the block has been notched. if not then the rod just self clearanced for you lol.

just looks like the rod has hit the block a bit. id take it apart (possibly need a new rod atlest have it checked that its still round) inspect the block area that there are no cracks or anything and im sure you are good. check that your crank is still in good condition as well.

with a spun bearing it will be a good idea to take everything apart and clean the piss out of it anyway.
Ok that makes me feel alot better lol thank you. Crank is ruined I need a new one.

What is the picture showing? I dont see anything but a notched block as @civicdxude called out.

Compression test will tell me if I ruined the cylinder walls hopefully.
It spun not 1 but 2 bearings. I dropped the oil pan to take a look. This was a 1300$ car and I couldn't figure out why, I figured out why. PO bought a junkyard engine, I have the old pistons so I can see clearly that the bearing vanished, so the crankshaft is not happy. he just threw a new bearing in and sold it because he gave up.

I had no idea notching was a thing this is my first time ever hearing about it lol. Pretty alarming to see it when you have no idea what it is.

The pickup had bearing material from both the old pistons and the new pistons. So I think even if it was clean it wouldn't matter because the crank was already scratched, I will update the post with some more photos.

Videos

It's probably not even the pickup, this is my first time ever going this deep into an engine. It is so much fun.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,333 Posts
This is hilarious........... So, you want us to believe that this was the last guys fault, but you posted this just the other day on here:

Can anyone identify this noise? Lol

You don't think the excess pressure that entered everything when you blew the head gasket isn't what lunched the bearings? Or was it the tuned by you part? I mean, I'm all in to help, and maybe this is a different car, but when you blew the head gasket I'm guessing that a lot of coolant entered the chamber. H Beams didn't bend, so the bearings and crank took the force of trying to compress liquid.

Maybe I missed something.............

Maybe this is a different car?

But looks to me like you got overly anxious to go fast and went boom. No judgment in any of those statements. My very first turbo block is still sitting at the shop with exit holes on both sides of the block as well as part of the oil pan rail missing to this day. Never found it. Literally nothing salvageable from that bottom end. I speak from experience aka the School of Hard Knocks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is hilarious........... So, you want us to believe that this was the last guys fault, but you posted this just the other day on here:

Can anyone identify this noise? Lol

You don't think the excess pressure that entered everything when you blew the head gasket isn't what lunched the bearings? Or was it the tuned by you part? I mean, I'm all in to help, and maybe this is a different car, but when you blew the head gasket I'm guessing that a lot of coolant entered the chamber. H Beams didn't bend, so the bearings and crank took the force of trying to compress liquid.

Maybe I missed something.............

Maybe this is a different car?

But looks to me like you got overly anxious to go fast and went boom. No judgment in any of those statements. My very first turbo block is still sitting at the shop with exit holes on both sides of the block as well as part of the oil pan rail missing to this day. Never found it. Literally nothing salvageable from that bottom end. I speak from experience aka the School of Hard Knocks.
Hahaha ok maybe it's easier to blame him than me. I have the rods that were in the motor originally and one of them clearly lost a bearing and scratched the life out of the crankshaft before I scratched it even more. I thought I blew the headgasket but it was the radiator that blew, the oil didn't have coolant in it just metal shavings!

Damn right I got anxious for power and made it go boom 💥

I don't think I blew the headgasket but at this point I might aswell pull it to check the pistons and put a new gasket on. I appreciate all the information thank you!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
All the metal from when the PO spun a bearing.

Ok that makes me feel alot better lol thank you. Crank is ruined I need a new one.

Compression test will tell me if I ruined the cylinder walls hopefully.
It spun not 1 but 2 bearings. I dropped the oil pan to take a look. This was a 1300$ car and I couldn't figure out why, I figured out why. PO bought a junkyard engine, I have the old pistons so I can see clearly that the bearing vanished, so the crankshaft is not happy. he just threw a new bearing in and sold it because he gave up.

I had no idea notching was a thing this is my first time ever hearing about it lol. Pretty alarming to see it when you have no idea what it is.

The pickup had bearing material from both the old pistons and the new pistons. So I think even if it was clean it wouldn't matter because the crank was already scratched, I will update the post with some more photos.

Videos

It's probably not even the pickup, this is my first time ever going this deep into an engine. It is so much fun.
You cant do a compression test with zero rod bearing lol, it will never be accurate. Screw the cylinder walls, that engine needs to come out for a complete top and bottom rebuild. With that much crap in the pickup, the cam journals are probably trashed too.

This your first time going this deep into an engine? So far, I've seen that you've pulled the oil pan...

If it wasnt making noise before your "could anyone identify this noise" post, I'll bet you trashed it, not the PO. How can I tell? You stated previously no MAP sensor upgrade, no larger injectors, no test boost cut, no idea what wastegate spring rating is.... no business tuning a turbocharged engine without expecting destruction.

@Soul Engineering is on point with the destructive analysis on this one.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Hahaha ok maybe it's easier to blame him than me. I have the rods that were in the motor originally and one of them clearly lost a bearing and scratched the life out of the crankshaft before I scratched it even more.
What do you mean you "scratched it even more"? So the crankshaft was already rough from previous damage, then bearings slapped back in and send it? Who did that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You cant do a compression test with zero rod bearing lol, it will never be accurate. Screw the cylinder walls, that engine needs to come out for a complete top and bottom rebuild. With that much crap in the pickup, the cam journals are probably trashed too.

This your first time going this deep into an engine? So far, I've seen that you've pulled the oil pan...

If it wasnt making noise before your "could anyone identify this noise" post, I'll bet you trashed it, not the PO. How can I tell? You stated previously no MAP sensor upgrade, no larger injectors, no test boost cut, no idea what wastegate spring rating is.... no business tuning a turbocharged engine without expecting destruction.

@Soul Engineering is on point with the destructive analysis on this one.
It started making slight noise and from my research, it could have been Vitara slap but I wasn't confident with that so I stopped driving the car (Great Decision). I drove under 20km while staying under 3k rpm with it making noise (I had to get home). I listened to everything that was said in the previous post, I put my injectors in, upgraded to 3bar and kept it on a 5psi spring with a boost cut at 8. Once I was more confident I went to 8psi 10 psi boost cut. Everything was running great until yesterday. I made mistakes and then listened to the people who have been doing this for longer than I have been alive and crazy enough they are right!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do you mean you "scratched it even more"? So the crankshaft was already rough from previous damage, then bearings slapped back in and send it? Who did that?
The engine is a junkyard engine that got swapped into the car, the PO installed new rods and pistons into it. One of the original rods that the PO took out of the engine has clearly lost a bearing. Because of this mangled rod, I am under the assumption that it scratched the crankshaft before I had the car, likely before the PO even had the engine. 1300$ for a 2000 honda civic with Manley rods and Vitara pistons means that there is something wrong with it. It could have been me and maybe the crankshaft was totally fine and I destroyed it but I am doubtful because I have the original rods.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts
you had the old rods and didnt put 2 and 2 together? lol, you live and learn.

lkq only charges 250 for long blocks. go find you another engine and crank, send it to a machine shop and have it built/inspected and then source you a new rod.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you had the old rods and didnt put 2 and 2 together? lol, you live and learn.

lkq only charges 250 for long blocks. go find you another engine and crank, send it to a machine shop and have it built/inspected and then source you a new rod.
I didn't have a clue what it meant, I started this thread saying it was because of the pickup being clogged hahaha.
That's a good idea thank you

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,333 Posts
Slo has the right idea. Your best bet is to get another bottom end going and inspect the cam journals to see how much got toasted. Might need a head too. You can build the bottom end up, using info on this site, and our personal insight. Make a decent 300 whp (depending on turbo here), and it live a long and very prosperous non explosive life. You've learned the first of many lessons with a Honda. You can't just send it, or it might send itself to the moon. That is, unless you build for that. Reasons I built mine the way I did. I invested in CSS from CNCWerx, and went with Wiseco pistons, and Crower rods. I didn't want to explode another block because they are a now bringing a premium for the DOHC D.

I'll repeat the adage that was said the other day.

With a Honda:

You can be cheap and reliable but not fast (a stock Honda)
You can be cheap and fast, but not reliable (what happened here)
or
You can be fast and reliable, but it won't be cheap (where you're headed and will enjoy the crap out of it if you do it)

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
729 Posts
With a Honda:

You can be cheap and reliable but not fast (a stock Honda)
You can be cheap and fast, but not reliable (what happened here)
or
You can be fast and reliable, but it won't be cheap (where you're headed and will enjoy the crap out of it if you do it)
So true, and not just about Honda. Cheap, fast, reliable, pick 2 and only 2, toss the other along with the screw jack when you purchase the car.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts
now, these fuckers I dont trust. Ive always called it a "cadillac jack" because thats what it came out of, an old ass caddy.....like 60s old.
Wood Tool Bumper Automotive exterior Bicycle part

1 - 20 of 22 Posts