Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16z6, 230k miles with a gude head package and today it had had enough and spun a bearing. So I guess my options are to rebuild or get a "new" motor. Seems taht starting with a fresher motor is probably a better way to go and do some basic work on it like bearings and a better oil pump but I'm not uh "mechanically inclined" so I'm lookiing for advice.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
pull it apart and see how bad the spun bearing is. if its not that bad, you could possibly have the crank polished out. if its too bad then you will need a new crank. replacing the oil pump would be a great idea if the crank is ok. i would also do a rebuild and get the block tanked. just to make sure there is nothing left of the shavings in it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
230K :shocked:!!! Thats alot of miles.. Dude if you got the money than look into an EK civic with lower miles. You could pick one up for about 3-4k or less and go from there, bc if you dont have the tools or know how to do an engine swap yourself than its going to cost you alot of money to pay someone else to do it for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
230K :shocked:!!! Thats alot of miles.. Dude if you got the money than look into an EK civic with lower miles. You could pick one up for about 3-4k or less and go from there, bc if you dont have the tools or know how to do an engine swap yourself than its going to cost you alot of money to pay someone else to do it for you.
Actually I'm lucky in that regard. I have access to a complete shop, and a couple friends are mechanics by trade and willing to help/teach me for beer and pizza. Thats a big part of the goal with this car (other than racing Honda Challenge ;) is learning to do this stuff myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not broke or anything so I think instead of the hytech header i was about to buy I'll just get the new long block from hmotorsonline/cncmotors/soshin and then rebuild that with the fj distributors kit. then i'll be invincible! lol knock on wood.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
I'd at least replace the crank. I'd also be a little weary on rebuilding a motor that spun a bearing because it may have had debris circulating throughout the entire motor. Kinda hard to get ALL that junk out. When my Prelude spun a main and rod bearing, Even me cam journals had pitting from debris making it into their oil supply. Good news is, you can find D-series long blocks for near dirt cheap on the net or local junk yards. Good luck in any case!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts