Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 96 ex with the d16y8 and U have a stage 1 comp cam, I am thinking about replacing my springs and retainers...I am thinking about going with crower... they sell a nice set for like 283.99...not bad for both if ya ask me.... now how long will this take to install? It took me mechanic around an hour to do my cam, Im also saving for a ported head from DH racing with there racing valves, so replacing my springs and retainers is a must in my perspective....tel me what cha think....thanks ya'll!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well heres the thing, I they gonna need to send the head and the valves sepearately, I could have them install it all and save some money but I already have that stage 1 cam, I would need to take it apart anyway.... I mean unless I would just but there cam, head, valves springs and retainers and spend a shitload I dunno, I would just have my mechanic put it all together all at once anyway yanno..... what would u do....??????

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
you don't have to buy their cam. you can put yours in there. it's not really that much work. the valvesprings/retainers are alot more work than a cam.

here's a quick how to on the cam install
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0102it_zex/

to change the valve springs/retainers. they have to either:
a) pull the head and change them
or
b) they can use compressed air in the spark plug hole with the cylinder at TDC. that will hold the valve up so it won't drop in.

but if you're going to be swapping heads, why not just have them do it on the head you're buying from them and save time and money. that way you just have to pull out your cam and throw it in the new head. or if you're going to buy a better cam for that head.

well let me ask you this. will they send you the head and you send them your factory head back? or will you send them your head and they do the work then send it back to you? or do you just outright buy the head from them?

that will help determine what you should do.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I buy the head from them and they send me one....its opinional if I want to send mine back, I get 100 off.... but there cam is a stage 2, mine comp cam is only a stage 1!! hmmmm

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
I'd buy theirs with valve springs/retainers/cam already in it. send back your stock head with factory cam and sell the stg 1 cam you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts