Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up some Harbor Freight spot weld cutting bits, 1 is $3.99 on sale. I have used whatever Snap-On sells before, I want to say they were Blair.

The Harbor Freight bits, have replaceable cutters and a spring-loaded guide. So far, I have cut 8 spot welds and still have no broken teeth yet, haven't even flipped the cutter. I have been drilling a 1/8" pilot hole for the centering guide, and using Tap Magic. The only thing I can complain about is the first one I have used does not spin in the drill centered, but is still usable. Technical term it’s a little wonky. For the price, they are exceptional.

When I used the Snap-On version, it came with more replacement cutters (6x), and I used them all while replacing the front core support on my '90 hatch. In fact, I ended up having to buy more. Now I will note that, I have since changed how I use them. Just a center punch dimple is not enough, I recommend drilling a pilot hole, and using plenty of lube.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-63657.html

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
397 Posts
I recommend drilling a pilot hole, and using plenty of lube.

That's good to know the Harbor Freight ones work decent. I may have to pick up a couple just to have around.

I bought a metal hole saw set a while back and needless to say the smaller ones (just like drill bits) get used more frequently than anything else. Just having a couple generic 3/8" ones around to burn through when only needing to cut small holes in sheet metal sounds like a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts