Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Motor: D16A6

Well, I found a killer deal on an SC61 and I'm piecing together a turbo kit. And I figured, "what the hell."

So I went and bought it, and I figured if its not a good turbo for the setup, I can just flip it and make a little bit of $$$ off it. I plan on having Eagle Rods, Forged Pistons (not sure which brand I'm going with yet). A built motor, and I want to do some head work as well so it'll rev.

Having a built motor should help it spool a little bit, but what are some other things to reduce spool time?

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Motor: D16A6

Well, I found a killer deal on an SC61 and I'm piecing together a turbo kit. And I figured, "what the hell."

So I went and bought it, and I figured if its not a good turbo for the setup, I can just flip it and make a little bit of $$$ off it. I plan on having Eagle Rods, Forged Pistons (not sure which brand I'm going with yet). A built motor, and I want to do some head work as well so it'll rev.

Having a built motor should help it spool a little bit, but what are some other things to reduce spool time?
like lilryan said, nitrous will be your best bet, but open downpipe will help out some and so will a ported head.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
like lilryan said, nitrous will be your best bet, but open downpipe will help out some and so will a ported head.

Hmm, do you think my motor will hold up under boost & nitrous?

And what kind-of shot should I run?

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
it depends on how much boost you run with the spray. AND most importantly, how good your tune is. I would say that you could, but i wouldnt run a huge shot. maybe 35.........

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I plan on 16-17 psi..

And I have a good tuner in mind.

And a 35 shot seems fair since I'll have forged internals.

·
Registered
crx and ford ranger
1,000 Posts
55 shot FTW

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously though, how would the motor stand up against a 55 shot and ~17psi?

This is my daily and I'm not tryna kill it.

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
im gonna go out on a limb and say sell it.. buy something smaller, screw using nitrous to spool a turbo on your daily... what at YOUR hp goals?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My original goal was ~250whp..

But with this turbo I'd be looking at probably 300-320whp. I was thinking I could get an electric cutout and open it when I'm racing for a faster spool.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I got it for $100 (only reason I bought it)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
damn, is it in good condition?
Bought it from a reputable person locally. And it has a blown turbine seal. But a full rebuild kit runs me ~$100. So I mean, a SC61 for $200 doesn't sound too bad to me. I'm just going to try and trade the blown SC61 for a good t3/t04e 57 trim.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Bought it from a reputable person locally. And it has a blown turbine seal. But a full rebuild kit runs me ~$100. So I mean, a SC61 for $200 doesn't sound too bad to me. I'm just going to try and trade the blown SC61 for a good t3/t04e 57 trim.
:TU: :TU: :TU: sounds like a good plan

·
Registered
441 Posts
sc61 turbos live for like 600+ whp.. not 300 ish... id sell and buy a t3t04e .60/.63 for those goals and be happy with that
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that most SC61's are .63 A/R T3/T4's. For 250-300hp, maybe a smaller T3/T4 would be better. Something like a 50 trim.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
to really reduce spool time, you should worry about the inducer size.

that turbo is prolly too big. shouldnt be very hard for you to make your money back and then some though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
to really reduce spool time, you should worry about the inducer size.

that turbo is prolly too big. shouldnt be very hard for you to make your money back and then some though.
Yeah I already have a few people interested in trading me t3/t4's and one dude with a SC44 (which is more reasonable). The way I look at it. I'm getting either a t3/t04e or a SC44 for $100, so I'm butter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds like a good plan Kyle. The sc61 would not be suited well for your power goals and would have a very peaky powerband which will be no fun.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sounds like a good plan Kyle. The sc61 would not be suited well for your power goals and would have a very peaky powerband which will be no fun.
Haha, yeah..

And you're tuning my car when the time comes. ^_^

1 - 20 of 23 Posts