Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friends cars speedometer died a couple months ago and I cant figure out what it is. I tried swapping the VSS and it didnt work. Then I swapped out the cluster for mine (same year/model) and that didnt work either. What I find odd is that its not throwing a CEL. Its running a chipped p28 on ECtune. All the wires look good. Could it be the ecu? If not im stumped.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
mine did this or sometimes it would just tweak out a bit, i cleaned the plug and just made sure all the wires on the vss plug were in nice and tight no issues since

also use a volt meter to check if its shorted,

put on ohms/resistance setting neg plug on net battery terminal, pos on each of the wires in the vss plug if you get a reading its shorting out to the body

neg plug on one of the wires in the vss plug, then pos to each of the other wires, make sure you check between each wire. if you get a reading on the two wires that get a resistance reading are shorting with eachother

from here take a bottle of jack, drink it, pour diesel in/around the car, light it up and call your insurance company

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine did this or sometimes it would just tweak out a bit, i cleaned the plug and just made sure all the wires on the vss plug were in nice and tight no issues since

also use a volt meter to check if its shorted,

put on ohms/resistance setting neg plug on net battery terminal, pos on each of the wires in the vss plug if you get a reading its shorting out to the body

neg plug on one of the wires in the vss plug, then pos to each of the other wires, make sure you check between each wire. if you get a reading on the two wires that get a resistance reading are shorting with eachother

from here take a bottle of jack, drink it, pour diesel in/around the car, light it up and call your insurance company
Im going to try this. Does the the key need to be turned to on? R

did u do a continuity test? i mean it requires some work, but its definantly worth it
I have no idea what that is lol

Check the alternator/VSS fuse. #15 if I remember right.
I checked it and it was fine. Thanks tho

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
key doesnt need to be on since you are looking for resistance not voltage

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
first thing i would do is check the plug on the VSS. one time i spilled collant allover it and it didn't work until i cleaned it out.

when you swapped clusters did you swap the whole thing? or did you swap the cluster and use your old speedometer/odometer?

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
there are 3 pins in the vss, and 3 corresponding female clips inside the plug, check to make sure all of the female pieces are still intact. you might need to take some copper wire and shove it in there to get a good contact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts