Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the last few days my speedo has been actin funny...

Ill just be cruisin down the highway and the speedo will suddenly drop to zero for a few seconds then pop back up to the current speed.... really anyoing as i use cruise control all the time and it turns it off when it does this >: (

Speed sensor going out possibly? Are they easy to replace?

·
Registered
402 Posts
VSS going bad would throw a CEL. I had the same problem on my wife's car, ended up being the speedo head in the gauge itself. You need a new speedometer and swap it into your current cluster, or a new cluster.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Get a new fuse for the speedo first, it could be shorted. Its cheaper to do so do it first. Thats what happened to mine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Get a new fuse for the speedo first, it could be shorted. Its cheaper to do so do it first. Thats what happened to mine.
If a fuse blows, it stays blown, lol.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update: today it got worse, it does one of 3 things;

1- speedo constantly "wobbles" in up to 20mph incriments
2- goes to 0 than goes back to current speed after a few seconds
3- goes to 0 and stays there, check engine light comes on... goes away when the car is turned off for a little while

does that make any more clear?

·
My 91 Crx Hf
97 Civic Coupe
2,164 Posts
pull the code! I know for obd0 you can decelerate from like 3500 to 2000 and the code will come up (something along those lines). any autoparts store will pull the code for free

you check the vss cable? or pulled your cluster to look for a loose connector (really only takes an hour to take off and put back on)

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pull the code! I know for obd0 you can decelerate from like 3500 to 2000 and the code will come up (something along those lines). any autoparts store will pull the code for free

you check the vss cable? or pulled your cluster to look for a loose connector (really only takes an hour to take off and put back on)
codes only come up twice(on the highway/ways away from auto store) and goes away when the car is restarted

i work 10-13 hour days right now, saving for my build:D and its hard to find time for anything on the side right now... anyways, where on the tranny does the plug sit? i havent even looked yet...

·
Registered
37 Posts
vss on d hydro trans is on the top rear of tranny, close to engine block. mine did the same exact things. its held on by 3 screws, but there is a braket its bolted on; if you cant get the screws out, just pull the bracket out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
update: today it got worse, it does one of 3 things;

1- speedo constantly "wobbles" in up to 20mph incriments
2- goes to 0 than goes back to current speed after a few seconds
3- goes to 0 and stays there, check engine light comes on... goes away when the car is turned off for a little while

does that make any more clear?
That makes it sound like the VSS sensor, have autozone/pepboys/someone pull the code and you should have your answer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts