Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an ef si cable transmission. Retaining clip is out. Cable is broke off and will not come out. I see the round end piece of the cable sheath is seized in there. I've tried to drill it out, used a very small grinder on my dremel. Even tried filing a screw driver very thin and tapping it through the slot where the retaining clip goes. No luck.
So my question is how to pull the whole housing/gear out of the trans? There are no 10mm bolts holding it in. I did read a post on here where someone posted a picture of the gear and it looks like it's just held in with an o ring. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
would be helpful to clean the area you are working around.

get all that nasty shit out of the area, its gonna go into the tranny even if the cable end somehow comes out.

does that shaft piece come out? or is it part of the tranny housing?

My mindset would be to start with some wd40 or jb80 and let it soak. if that does not work, a propane torch on a CLEAN area should assist in removing it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try heating it, wd40, pb blaster. I ended up taking the transmission apart and got it out. Not bad for my first trans tear down.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
clean the magnet while the casing is apart, and if you have feeler gauges, now is the perfect time to check shit out. that tranny is old enough reverese is probably a pain, so see if its wore out the slot.

at least you can do a thorough cleaning and know everything is good to go!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clean the magnet while the casing is apart, and if you have feeler gauges, now is the perfect time to check shit out. that tranny is old enough reverese is probably a pain, so see if its wore out the slot.

at least you can do a thorough cleaning and know everything is good to go!
Yes and if I mess it up, I have another trans haha. A buddy told me the shift fork is the tough part with reassemble. I'm tossing around the idea of an lsd while I have it apart, but I that will cut a huge chunk out of my turbo budget

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Shift forks aren't hard in Honda's. Just hold it them with the stacks when dropping in.

LSD > turbo. Hit me up if you want to order one.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
for the record, an LSD and better final drive on an otherwise fully stock motor setup is just as fun as a small turbo on an otherwise stock tranny setup..

SOOOOO much fun to rip into a corner full tilt and have 20-40% extra usable torque without boost lag

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,290 Posts
Shift fork + gear stacks is a "three hand job" but once you've done it a few time like Aquafina and I have done, it gets easier.

88-91's are the easiest of the D's IMHO, not counting the CG boxes.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,290 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, does anyone know what this part is really called? I can't seem to find one anywhere
The speedo drive unit? Honda likely already sold them off, you'll have to find one used. What color was the gear?

Look under "clutch release", doubt this long link will work...

Cart Contents Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts
It was black before I broke it all off haha. Trying to find an aftermarket one from advance or somewhere like that

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
The speedo drive unit? Honda likely already sold them off, you'll have to find one used. What color was the gear?

Look under "clutch release", doubt this long link will work...

Cart Contents Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts

MT CLUTCH RELEASE for 1991 Honda CIVIC HATCHBACK

yep, discontinued parts galore.

SOMEONE had to have bought out the parts molds/presses/schematics/etc...

Kinda sad when things puff out of existances just because of age.

I mean for fucks sake, you can do a chevelle, or nova, or gto 90% brand new oem fitment parts these days

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes that does suck pretty bad. I might just put the si trans back together without it and use my dx trans until I can find a used one. I just worry that trying to put the speedo drive in later with the trans together I won't be able to get the gear lined up. But I would think it'll be the same as a speed sensor on a newer civic. Just wiggle a little

1 - 20 of 51 Posts