Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I get into this, I'll post my questions so they don't get lost:

1. Is the Si tranny better than the non-Si tranny?
2. My speedo gear is white, which apparently indicates a non-Si tranny (or a 35mm small bearing according to another post). I read somewhere that on rare occasions the white speedo gear came on 40mm/large bearing transmissions. Is there another way to check to make sure I'm ordering the correct transmission?​

Background info:
I'm thinking about buying a Synchrotech rebuilt transmission for my 1990 DX with a D16A6 engine. It's making a lot of noise, and based on what I've read here it's probably the input shaft bearing and one or two other bearings. I would fix them myself, but I don't have a garage, it's the rainy season up here, and this is my work car, so I need to get it done in a day or two. I've done a few clutches, so I'm confident I can swap trannies in a day.

First I did a lot of reading and searching here to get as informed as possible. Then I sent Synchrotech an email and this is what they wrote back:
"To find out what transmission you have, you can pull the speedometer assembly out of the transmission and have a look inside. What you will see is the speedometer gear attached on the differential which is plastic. If it is a white/yellow color it is a non-si trans. If the speedo gear is black, it will be a Si or EX transmission. Let me know what you find. When you are ready to order, it will be sold on a core exchange basis for the same unit. If you do not have an Si trans for core exchange, you may just pay a little extra to get one."​

I don't have the service manual for my car yet, and I was having some difficulty locating the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Part of the problem is that mine is cable driven rather than electronic, so it doesn't look the same as the ones I found pictures of. I figured I'd share pics of how I got mine off and maybe help others dealing with this. I probably should have taken more pictures, but I was trying to figure this out as I went.

First, here's where it's located. This picture was taken AFTER I pulled the cable off. The cable is black with a rubber boot.

A close-up of the location:

The cable snaps into the sensor with a cotter pin that fits into a slot on the top of the sensor. I just slid up the rubber boot and pulled on the cable and it popped off. Here's what the cable looks like after it's pulled out:

To get the speed sensor out, I just removed a 10mm bolt holding a simple flat metal bracket that fits into a slot on the side of the speed sensor. I couldn't get a good grip to pull the sensor out, so I used some needle-nose pliers.

The red arrow shows where the cotter pin fits that holds the cable on top of the sensor. The blue arrow shows where the simple metal bracket fits to hold the sensor onto the transmission.

Here's a better shot of the slot that holds the sensor onto the transmission:

And here's the speedo gear that I needed to see to figure out what transmission I have. It looks white/yellow to me, so it's not an Si. This also gives a good view of where the sensor fits. The 10mm bolt fits in the hole on the left, and the small flat bracket just fits flat against the tranny and into the slot on the side of the sensor that's been removed here.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
the Si trans is better...

the rest i dont know...

all though it may interest you to know that the VSS can either be a cable or electronic... the VSS are mostly interchangeable... if you were to put that trans in a non cable chassis you just need to use an electronic VSS and vise a versa...

sorry, i know this post isn't much help...

EDIT:
when you reinstall the cable on the VSS you should be able to put the clip back on first, the cable should slid right in and lock... this will prolly be easier than trying to put the clip on with the cable installed...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is helpful. It answers one question, and it's good to know about compatibility. And you're right about that clip. That's how I did it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts