Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1997 d16y7 which I'm planning on doing a y7/y8 mini me swap with, and I want to disassemble the y8 head and get it inspected, resurfaced, etc. I don't know what specific tools i would need to dissassemble the head. I'm guessing that i would need a valve tool, but I am curious if there are any other tools that aren't usually in a family garage. Any advice would be help-full. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
If you are just disassembling only then you don’t need anything special. You can break everything down with hand tools. To release the locks you rest a deep socket on the top of the retainer and give it a swift whack with a hammer.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,654 Posts
Have you ever been deep into a cylinder head before? Would you know what to do, what to check, or how to reinstall if you actually managed to remove all the valves without losing an eye?

If not, just pull the head off with normal hand tools, leave the valvetrain alone, and give it to a machine shop to refresh. They'll handle removing the valves, checking guides, lapping them back, installing stem seals, pressure checking, resurfacing, etc. You'll receive a head back from them ready to reinstall.

Get a good quality head gasket set. It will come with every gasket and seal you'll need to reinstall. You'll want to buy this first before bringing the head to a machine shop, because the kit has valve stem seals in it. You'll want to bring the valve stem seals with the head to the machine shop.

You'll need a torque wrench for head reinstallation though, specifically for the head bolts, cam caps and camshaft sprocket.

Make sure the head bolt HOLES in the block are CLEAN and DRY before reinstallation, and coat the bolt threads, underside of hex heads, and washers with a thin coating of engine oil before retorquing.

You'll also need a set of feeler gauges to set valve lash before valve cover goes back on.

Spark plug socket and gapper tool, for new fresh NGK BKR5E's, gapped and torqued to spec.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
4,616 Posts
Have you ever been deep into a cylinder head before? Would you know what to do, what to check, or how to reinstall if you actually managed to remove all the valves without losing an eye?

If not, just pull the head off with normal hand tools, leave the valvetrain alone, and give it to a machine shop to refresh. They'll handle removing the valves, checking guides, lapping them back, installing stem seals, pressure checking, resurfacing, etc. You'll receive a head back from them ready to reinstall.

Get a good quality head gasket set. It will come with every gasket and seal you'll need to reinstall. You'll want to buy this first before bringing the head to a machine shop, because the kit has valve stem seals in it. You'll want to bring the valve stem seals with the head to the machine shop.

You'll need a torque wrench for head reinstallation though, specifically for the head bolts, cam caps and camshaft sprocket.

Make sure the head bolt HOLES in the block are CLEAN and DRY before reinstallation, and coat the bolt threads, underside of hex heads, and washers with a thin coating of engine oil before retorquing.

You'll also need a set of feeler gauges to set valve lash before valve cover goes back on.

Spark plug socket and gapper tool, for new fresh NGK BKR5E's, gapped and torqued to spec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts