Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 civic dx
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my EG, first thing I did was to replace the OE clutch and flywheel. Went with 8 lb. flywheel and XTD "stage 1" clutch kit. shutup. Big mistake. After 8 months, the clutch was trash. It wasn't from my driving habits, because the flywheel was still in perfect condition. No bluing, no warping.

After that, some moron rear ended me, perfect chance. Took her off the road, replaced front bushings, rear bumper, bumper cover, trunk lid, driver front door (big dent from before I got it), and of course clutch. I spent a good month researching different clutches. In the end it was a toss up between ACT and SPEC.

My requirements were quite strict, actually. Solid hub, capable of upgrade (in power mostly), multi-puck disc. I didn't know much about the various materials, so the toss up was a 6 puck ceramic ACT clutch, and a 4 puck carbon-graphite. Spec won out by 15 dollars...lol

I must say, this is the second best clutch I have ever driven with. The only one to ever top it is a 1500 dollar twin disc in a 400+hp GTO...lol Big thumbs up for SPEC

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Both of your choices are on my "No buy" list. Spec has a habit of poor quality control. Most are fine, but many people have issues with the brand. ACT clutches just plain old suck in Hondas. Their pressure plates are terrible and they go through quality/crap cycles fairly regularly.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, but it sounds like you didn't do too much research on what is actually used and recommended by people who )(#$(*$ hate to replace clutches.

·
Registered
434 Posts
For anyone reading this thinking about buying a spec clutch, stay far away. Horrible experience. I got a clutch that didnt even work, then i got a clutch that couldnt even hold 50HP without slipping. Not to mention there customer service rep Jeremy is a total douche. Wasted alot of time and money. Comp or LSD ftw...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts