Honda D Series Forum banner

Speakers to big for door...Help!!

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  narkicu187 
#1 ·
So I bought some new speakers, 6.5's for the door and 6x9's for the rear. I know the back is gonna be a pain, pretty much everthing has to come out. But my dilemma is with the door, the magnet on the new 6.5's is to large. Any other way to remedy this withouth ripping my panels to shreds. Thinkin' about just taking a dremel to the housing and makin' the place where the speaker sits bigger, just want some feedback first......THANKS!!

#3 ·
Thinkin' about just taking a dremel to the housing and makin' the place where the speaker sits bigger, just want some feedback first......THANKS!!
That's all you'll need to do and you'll be good :TU:

#5 ·
Just about any speaker you put in there is going to have the clearance problem. Honda uses a thin woofer factory and not much will fit in there with out modification.

#9 ·
It's not all speakers, just a lot of them :lol:

#12 ·
Dremel away sir. That "cage" doesn't need to be there. I had the same problem, now all that's left of mine is the holes to mount the adapter plate and the holes to mount it to the door. Everything will fit just fine.

let me guess....alpine 6.5's
^yeah he guessed right that's the one's I had problems with ... firs with coaxial Type-S and then with Type-R components. The dremel is your friend.

#15 ·
Allright, now don't hold me to this, since I don't have first ahnd experience with a 2000 model. I had teh same problem with my CRX. I have pioneer 6.5 3-ways all around. They would almost fit in the doors, but when the window came down, it hit the speaker.
My solution: rubber stoppers around the screws holding them in place, between the speaker and door panel. I got about 20 of them, and played with cutting them to different sizes untill the speaker almost touched the plastic cover. Clearance issues solved.

#17 ·
My solution: rubber stoppers around the screws holding them in place, between the speaker and door panel. I got about 20 of them, and played with cutting them to different sizes untill the speaker almost touched the plastic cover. Clearance issues solved.
Good idea on bringing the speaker out, but that can't be air-tight, or is it? I may be misreading this. You don't want sound wave cancellation issues on your door woofs.

But I'd try this route before dremelling those baskets in the rear. How much can you bring the woofer forward before hitting the panel/grille? (I've got a Sol, and the front woofer locations are pretty durn spacious). Fabricate a spacer of the appropriate thickness and then screw it down.

If you can't bring it forward, then you may need to rev up the Dremel after all. Some foam XTC baffles behind your woofer will keep the water away from those voice coils.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.