Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D16Z6 that runs NGK IRIDIUM ZFR5FIX-11 & recently got a set of NGK IRIDIUM ZFR6FIX-11 PLUGS & as I understand it they the same except for the heat range so witch one is hotter & how would you decide what temp plug to run. Hate to throw out good parts if I can use them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Why would you use Iridium plugs?
Does the car have a modification that calls for them?
Has the tuner suggested the car needs them?
If its bone stock use the stock copper replacement for $1 or $2 versus using $15 iridium plug that has zero gains.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
I only use iridium plugs on car that specifically call for them like the K20A2 in my RSX.

Supercharged d16a6 in the CRX gets $2 NGK BKR7E’s which work great.

Edit: looks like OP already has the plugs so here’s a NGK heat range chart:

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/251/heat-range-conversion-chart

And here’s another helpful article:

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/200/how-do-i-find-a-colder-or-hotter-plug

Btw I found these in less than 2 minutes by just googling “NGK heat range chart”

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I have always had better luck with 88-00 civics running the factory specified spark plug, regardless of any mods, IF the stock ecu is used (as in no tune).

My 2013 Honda Fit, however, enjoyed getting colder heat range plugs that were factory on the AP1 Honda S2000. Made a minor improvement at the drag strip after a few fuel tanks worth of driving for the factory ecu to finish learning the new knock range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Current mods: 3-2-1 header with 2 1/4" cat back, cold air intake, adjustable fuel pressure regulator (currently set about at stock spec), Magnacor spark plug wires, 8Lb flywheel & ecu chipped & dyno tuned to 127HP & 110Ft-Lbs at the wheels. Future mods: long runner intake manifold, 66mm throttle body with larger fuel injectors to match & retune ecu.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
you need compression prior to any more mods.

big throttlebody is simply going to eat up your low and some midrange power, and only net a few ponies up top.

compression plus camshaft = FUN. and 150whp+ possible.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Current mods: 3-2-1 header with 2 1/4" cat back, cold air intake, adjustable fuel pressure regulator (currently set about at stock spec), Magnacor spark plug wires, 8Lb flywheel & ecu chipped & dyno tuned to 127HP & 110Ft-Lbs at the wheels.

All this below is not needed....

Future mods: long runner intake manifold, 66mm throttle body with larger fuel injectors to match & retune ecu.
There, I just saved you $1,000, next.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts