Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around on a number of forums and I checked out the famous "dansmc" site with all the pictures but I couldn't find one that perfectly matches what mine look like. Here's a picture of what they look like. There's obviously a lot of carbon buildup but it's only on the last ring and everything else looks perfect. What can you guys tell me?

P.S. Stock internal B18B (80k), t3/t4 A/R .50 turbo running 7psi, 440cc RC injectors, walboro fuel pump, dynotuned on Hondata.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like some blistering. Might need a colder plug.
Colder? Really? It's an NGK ZFR7F. That's already 2 steps colder than stock. I thought the carbon deposits meant I was running too cold... Cold, or rich, but it can't be rich cause it was dynotuned by a pro.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Colder? Really? It's an NGK ZFR7F. That's already 2 steps colder than stock. I thought the carbon deposits meant I was running too cold... Cold, or rich, but it can't be rich cause it was dynotuned by a pro.
I see white at the tip of the plug, but then again it's kinda blurry.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is that carbon or oil?

Oil will stick to your plug like that if its smoking or if the plug is too cold.
A too cold plug will not be able to burn off oil deposits, and this is what happens.

Why are you running 2 point colder plugs if I may ask?
Its usually done in motors moddified for high compression, not good for stock.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could a loose rotor in my dizzy causing less than adequate fire cause the plugs to look like that due to insufficient burning of fuel? People on Honda-Tech are telling me it could be my timing and I'm running pig rich.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I doubt that a loose rotor will do this.
It may cause a miss, but the fact that your motor is running means its getting spark.

If you are running so rich you would first smell it when the motor is running!?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that carbon or oil?

Oil will stick to your plug like that if its smoking or if the plug is too cold.
A too cold plug will not be able to burn off oil deposits, and this is what happens.

Why are you running 2 point colder plugs if I may ask?
Its usually done in motors moddified for high compression, not good for stock.
It's definitely carbon, not oil. Also, the oil has a faint smell of gas in it, if that helps your analysis at all. I'm running the ZFR7F cause I was told it was the best plug for boosted LS setups. Should I go to a 6 series or something?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
this was TUNED? or a base map............ looks raelly shitty to me, looks like super rich idle, and lean under boost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If the motor started doing this recently, but ran well after the tune, Id say something has gone wrong.
Maybe a fouled MAP Sensor, or temp sensor?

If it did this since the tune, Id guess they set it over rich.

If you smell fuel in the oil, its very likely rich

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
this was TUNED? or a base map............ looks raelly shitty to me, looks like super rich idle, and lean under boost.

it says dyno tuned using s300..

how can you tell its super rich at idle and lean under boost from a little picture of a plug..

if you want to check and get somewhat of an accurate reading from a plug, you must install new plugs.. bkr7e, make a 1-3 gear pull. shut off the car, and then pull the plugs and see what they look like..
thats the only way to do it... you cant really get an accurate reading from a plug that has been tuned/driven around with for a while.

·
No Tune No Life!
2,045 Posts

how can you tell its super rich at idle and lean under boost from a little picture of a plug..

if you want to check and get somewhat of an accurate reading from a plug, you must install new plugs.. bkr7e, make a 1-3 gear pull. shut off the car, and then pull the plugs and see what they look like..
thats the only way to do it... you cant really get an accurate reading from a plug that has been tuned/driven around with for a while.

true story here guys!

read around this site

Spark Plug Reading 101 by Mike Canter

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I was told the BKR7E's were for GSRs and the ZFR7F's were for LS setups. These plugs have about 12.5k on them and haven't been changed in almost 2 years. I'm gonna get some new ones and keep an eye on them. I'm a little hesitant to do a 1-2-3 pull and just shut off the car, isn't it incredibly bad for the turbo?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I was told the BKR7E's were for GSRs and the ZFR7F's were for LS setups. These plugs have about 12.5k on them and haven't been changed in almost 2 years. I'm gonna get some new ones and keep an eye on them. I'm a little hesitant to do a 1-2-3 pull and just shut off the car, isn't it incredibly bad for the turbo?
bkr7e works in all d series and b series.

no way your going to get an accurate reading from a plug with 12k miles lol. and if you drove 12k miles on the tune.. well then that means your tune is acually pretty decent considering you havnt blew it up yet lol.

i didnt mean to just run the car through 3rd gear and shut it off while your still driving lol... im saying after you did a nice pull on the road, stop at your nearest gas station or side of the road and pull ALL the plugs. your able to see if you have enough of fuel, if your lean, if you need to pull some timing, and or if your detonating.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bkr7e works in all d series and b series.

no way your going to get an accurate reading from a plug with 12k miles lol. and if you drove 12k miles on the tune.. well then that means your tune is acually pretty decent considering you havnt blew it up yet lol.

i didnt mean to just run the car through 3rd gear and shut it off while your still driving lol... im saying after you did a nice pull on the road, stop at your nearest gas station or side of the road and pull ALL the plugs. your able to see if you have enough of fuel, if your lean, if you need to pull some timing, and or if your detonating.
Oh ya ya, the setup has almost 15k relatively hard miles on it now. It still runs smooth as hell and pulls really strong with no boost flutter or bogging or anything. So could it be the plugs are just in serious need of change? Lol.

You sure I should just switch to BKRs if the car was tuned on ZFRs and has been reliable that way since then?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
well since your plugs are i think 1 step colder than bkr7e, your tune may need to be tweaked but probably not.... it wont hurt anything if you were to pop them in and do a pull, and then check to see how they look...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts