Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spark plugs have about 100 miles on them, they're BCRP7ES-11's and they all look like this. White electrode with some black around the base, is this normal?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
That is perfect for normal driving, you can just make out the hint of tan on the porcelain.

If that was after a boosted pull, more tan.

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not boosted, just 11:1 compression with a few 0 to 80 pulls in the 100 miles that are on the plugs.

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hahaha alright awesome, I thought the plug was good but I was getting mixed opinions from local "mechanics" about the white electrode.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
873 Posts
yea. a lot of those "mechanics" have completely negative opinions on these kinds of plug readings.
they say its too dangerously lean and should be brown and taste good,etc

traffic i'd understand. but in a country with free-flowing highways, it's just trying to look good too much in front of customers.

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
The plug looks good. The timing could be backed down and that in turn will fatten it up but that's me... timing is so different for every motor... I usually try to get it in the middle of the bend... lookin good though

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
What motor? what ecu? Are you tuning? What dose your wide band say? I would say you are a little on the rich side. Heat range is good. Ignition is not knocking.

Using this How to read Racing Spark Plugs

I have seen about 50 different ways to read plugs on line. Some people use the ceramic for fuel and the ground strap for ignition.

In that case you are a bit lean or not and need to add ignition or let some ignition out depending on what person you are talking to. LOL

Misinformation is abundant. Things that may help you are a wide band, g meter, dyno time, track time, egts………………………………........... Just reading the plugs will work with trial and error but getting a bit more info make thing a bit easier.

I still dont know how to read plugs to a T.

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
I would say after a day of driving if their isn't build up and its just a light layer of soot your doing good... no metal flakes or "peppering". I like on nitrous to have a band around the bottom of the porcelain of gas.. brown ring. Whatever you like to call it... then have NO wear on the elctrode itself... I look for a heat band no further down than half way and usually have to wipe away the yellow fuel detergent shit we use out here.. another thing I have found is when you start to get the build up that you can wipe away with just a touch (from the detergent. Green. Yellow. Whatever) your usually really close to a happy running car... a wideband might not always be available but let's get real... people like to mess with stuff and personally I love playing with my car. Plus what better to learn on than your own and go in somewhat blind lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts