Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need wise men help. I hope someone can clear things up for me.

Story:
I was running my 330hp d16z6 Civic without any ignition problems for few years but decided to do ignition upgrade as was aiming for more hp with bigger turbocharger. After installing Crane Hi6 ignition with LX92 coil problem occured. It sounded like misfire at higher rpm starting at ~4k till the limiter.

Triple checked all ignition wiring, tested with different external coils, installed external igniter, changed distributor sensors, upgraded to MSD non resistance spark plug wires, new non-resistor spark plugs (NGK R5671A-8 ), new car battery, checked alternator but it was the same misfire all the time and nothing really changed from upgrades. As soon as I went back to stock ignition, car did not misfire and ran perfect. Installed again Crane ignition and misfire came back with it.

I had lost my patience and faith. So I ordered new set of Crane HI6 ignition with LX92 coil to make sure my previous was faulty. Installed new one and.. nothing changed- same misfire. Till the day I took out spark plugs, installed my old plugs (NGK BRK7E) and decided to close the gap from .032 to .028 and WOALA, two year hassle with lot of money spent, time and nervs- solved. No misfire and car runs great.

Why didn't I try to close the gap earlier? Well it didn't seem logical at all.. Car ran great without misfire with stock ignition and spark plugs gapped at .032 With ignition like Crane HI6 I should have been able to run even wider spark plug gap without misfire. Can someone explain or maybe had something similar in experience?! How can stock ignition system handle boost and Crane HI6 with the same spark plug gap misfires and can not handle it?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are you guys serious? :) Does anyone have info on stock coil output so it can be compared to aftermarket ones?
LX92 coil is claimed to be one of the most powerful aftermarket coils. It would be hard to believe Honda's small internal coil would outperform LX92.

P.S. Question is not how much power would oem ignition handle, but why I had to close the gap running on potentially stronger and reliable ignition system?!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone with strong electricity knowledge here to give some input? Definitely not me that's why I am asking..

I don't know if it's allowed to post other forum links, but found good thread about it on HT (MSD Ignition vs OEM Ignition - Honda-Tech)
It looks like aftermarket ignitions have more power but also shorter spark duration, which could cause misfire especially when running on alcohol.

P.S. My car is running on E85 with ID1000cc

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
I cannot give you a reason why you're having problems, but I can tell you that while I was running my E85, 1000cc, Z6 built motor with a completely STOCK dizzy and NGK wires and 2-step colder NGK plugs I had ZERO issues. Here's was my 23psi dyno pull with ZERO correcting/smoothing :

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
What you should do:

Put oem ignition on.
Hook oscilliscope to the 3 dizzy triggers.
Notate pattern at idle, and at rpm above breakup.

Reinstall aftermarket ignition.
Re-examine sillyscope readings.

I bet you will see a fair amount of noise.

The A-D converter in the ecu is only amplifying it. And thus, the noise passes the threshold of causing false signals.

This is a gut feeling.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jared, I am aware non resistance spark plugs create lot of noise. I have seen Hondata test with oscilliscope and I am aware it could cause, for example, datalogging problems. Also many people claimed they still have zero issues with non resistance plugs.
I don't see it much of a problem. What I mean noises didn't just disappear with closing spark plug gap. Did they? I guess I already mentioned that car runs fine now! What I want to understand is why would CD ignition require closing the gap which stock ignition can handle.

P.S. to turboprelude95 and BLK92_D16. I do not argue with anyone stock ignition isn't good enough for making plenty of power. That's not a topic here. You know better than anyone else we like to change various parts on our cars without serious reasons.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Capacative discharge ..

It will add a bit of noise from what is gathered, because instead of a square on/off, its a pulse and ramp down, then ramp up recharge...

Granted, in general electronics caps are used to stabilize ripples, when using them as a power source of sorts, they add immense amounts of EMI and RF noise.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It took me 5 years and a lot of headache, but you can not buy experience. So testing this ignition I came to conclusion it's just not working realible with Honda. It is really powerful and makes super strong spark, but it also adds stress to ignition components, especially distributor cap contacts and rotor. I have tried different rotors and it was the main problem for misfires. Powerful CD ignition simply burns out rotor in minutes, while it can last months with good one.
Lastly it was working with wide open plug gap without any misfires. Now when I have worked it out I am ready for coil pack retrofit. :chinese:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good for me? No... Good for whole car enthusiast community! :yes:
So many topics end with nothing. I truly believe this is helpful if someone has similar problems with CD ignitions.
One more thing. Crane ignitions now belongs to FAST (Fuel Air Spark Technology). Greg from FAST was super helpful and caring with problem I was having. I just have to credit them for owesome customer service other companies are lacking these days. For instance MSD was oposite experience, which customer service was rather disapointing than helpful.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Greg from FAST was super helpful and caring with problem I was having. I just have to credit them for owesome customer service other companies are lacking these days. For instance MSD was oposite experience, which customer service was rather disapointing than helpful.
Definitely hard to find good support these days, glad you got it sorted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts