Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a friend of mine with an Srt4 said "i want to trade my 12 for a 10 i think. cause this box is too big! i cant use my trunk!"

i went and looked at it and sure enough it was 3/4 his trunk!

so i suggested we make a custom box that fits in his spare tire well.

so here we go

parts needed -
resin/hardner
fiberglass
mixing cups(metered)
mixing sticks
skizzors
bunch of shitty paint brushes
blue tape
aluminum foil
board of MDF
jigsaw

the starting point, its only about 5in deep, but its ok

tape off the area your going to make the piece in, dont want any resin getting on the car

put the foil in there now, to take the shape and protect the car some more, it will stay formed well and the resin wont affect it.

start adding the fiberglass, the first few layers will be a pain cause the foil likes to move on you, but once you get a few layers done, it will stay.

once its dry, you can pull it out easily and then peel the foil off(somewhat easy)

cut your MDF to the shape wanted, and either glass it to the bottom section, or use fiberglass bondo like i did. I may get some shit for this, but it was holding it good.

once dried, use some 3m spray adhesive, put some carpet on it. and enjoy

**** sorry this 8 image limit makes it hard to show everything ****

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
good fab work but what about the air space needed for the sub?. isnt it compensated by being put in a smaller enclosure. i dont know much about subs, but i think it might need more air than that. but looks good man.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
41,007 Posts
What about the box your putting the box and sub into?????

How do you account the air leakage into tuning the bandpass enclosure that your SITTING in?

That box looks about right for a 10" depending on it's Thiele/Small parameters.

But as a mentor once told me...... "Make the box as big as you can afforded, SEALED, the let the curve work it's way out and see where it needs help"

Roger Holdaway of Speakerworks.

some of the cars I got to see in person that inspired me......except the hearse.....

http://www.termpro.com/showcars/terminator/ca1096.html

Another good read......... http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t349.html

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah im not sure about that either. but the owner was down to do it regardless.

but its a big space, not sure the mathmatics involved. but you could apply this idea of fiberglassing to almost anything...

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
i would say there at least 2.5 cubic feet there...

in fact, there's prolly to much room...

if it flutters or just sounds off, throw in some polly fill or speaker insulation...

should sound pretty good, dought it will trow out much deep bass but should be good for clean sound... my $0.02

BTW, nice right up, i would like to have seen the glass a lil thicker tho...

*EDIT* maybe more like 1.4- 1.6 is more like it after doing some quick math...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1.6 is pretty close to what the speaker is calling for, and the size was 2.2 from my calulations

but we listened to it, and it wasnt popping or wooooping it sounded good to me.

with only 8 images to show what we did, i didnt show any of the other glass pictures. to show we went thicker. but i wanted to go even thicker but ran out of resin and mat.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
1.6 is pretty close to what the speaker is calling for, and the size was 2.2 from my calulations

but we listened to it, and it wasnt popping or wooooping it sounded good to me.

with only 8 images to show what we did, i didnt show any of the other glass pictures. to show we went thicker. but i wanted to go even thicker but ran out of resin and mat.
lol, just do we we all do, make two post's then you have 16 images... :)

BTW, i used 20x24x5 what are the real measurment's..?

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
really good write up.....kinda wanna do it..u make it look so easy

when u say tape off the area did u use tap or is it tape holding down a piece of plastic?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just tape overlapping, its just for some added protection from the resin that can seep past the foil.

plus you tape extra around where you plan to glass cause the resin will drop off the brush, so you dont damage the stock finish

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.