Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 and 96 civic EX
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just swapped a a6 in place of my z6 (until I finish the build). Just wondering if a composite head gasket will be safe (don't want to tear into it if I don't have too). Will be getting dyno tuned. Stock internal so only shooting for maybe 200whp.
Thanks

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
I'm not sure on that one. All I know is that they are a pain in the ass to get off/clean.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Even if I had a composite gasket sitting right there, and I needed a gasket ASAP... I'd pay what I had to for a metal gasket.

·
Registered
95 and 96 civic EX
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll be looking into getting a mls HG for it since I'm not completely finished. Anybody know off hand what my CR would be with a y8 HG? Also I've got a brand new set of ARP's for my z6, they will work for the a6 also right?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
There's a handy dandy compression calculator you can use. Google it.

Those headstuds will work fine.

·
Registered
95 and 96 civic EX
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I tried google but most were about mini me swap's with y8 HG's (still looking). Thanks though

Edit: got it on zealautoworks 9.57:1

·
Registered
95 and 96 civic EX
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A6 block and a6 head. y8 HG. I redid it on zeal works. 3 layer y8= 9.32 and 2 layer y8=9.57. But thanks man.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Oh I just realized you were asking if you should replace it, not what you should use.

Shit man, just run it as is. IF it goes, you should replace it with MLS. But I never blew my composite when I had my sohc zc (A6) up over 200whp/ft-lbs. They are a pain in the dick to clean off though.

·
Registered
95 and 96 civic EX
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I just realized you were asking if you should replace it, not what you should use.

Shit man, just run it as is. IF it goes, you should replace it with MLS. But I never blew my composite when I had my sohc zc (A6) up over 200whp/ft-lbs. They are a pain in the dick to clean off though.
lol that's cool man. Yea I think I will let it go like it is. Hopefully I get my z6 built (or buy a built short block) pretty soon. income tax comes in friday :yes:
I'm still gonna run the a6 til It blows though lol

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
You just said there is a Y8 HG in with that A6 head/block. I've not seen a composite Y8 HG, only metal.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
I have a $17.00 graphite and a $23.00 Taiwan mls but can't run either of those for boost from hearing the Taiwan copied mls hg's give you so much trouble. I've been through multiple knock off mls in the last two years but I had bad tunes.
I'm looking to order an oem $30.00 y8 mls from majestic honda soon and stick with those for performance use from now on.

It's good to see some perspective from Sentry. The bitch is if it blows during the tune you're out more money. But just think several peeps used to boost the untouched stock a6 back in the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts