Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short.

Sold my car to my friend. everything was running just fine no problems.
He had it for a few months and it wouldnt start on him one day.
Check everything out.
had fuel and spark (via spark tester and smell of fuel)

after a few mins of trying to crank it and waiting. We try again and it started.
Ran fine. On his way home it cut off again but started back up.

He then drove it to my house so we can check it out again. I live about 5mins away.
Took him 15min to get here, it kept dying out. Had to give it a few cranks before it would start back up, drove a little then cut off. etc....

Once he made it we check everything again. Still got fuel, spark tester show no spark now.
Have an autozone dizzy which was 1 yr (an a few days). So trade it in. Pop it on the car and everything ran good.
Says boost picks up better and it idle a bit smoother. Cool.

Well today (about 3 months later from that day) Same problem came back.
He call me said. It didnt start last night. He check all connectors and everything was tight. When to start it again and it started up and drove fine.
Today it wouldnt start. He hears the fuel pump, and check the spark with the tester and got spark.
Crank it over a few time and wouldnt start, then it started after about 10mins and he let it run for a few mins turn it off and called me. We talk for a few min then he started it up and it started just fine.

any idea what the problem could be?

tune on neptune rtp. I never had this problem.
No cel, and always rpm while cranking it.
Dizzy is an autozone brand new and only use for 3months.
Ive always heard the fuel pump and he says he hears it also all the time.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
check the wires and plugs. maybe something is causing the igniter or coil to weaken

·
Registered
20 Posts
This time around, it could be a clogged fuel filter or possibly the fuel pump sock/filter.

I chased a similar issue over the summer, except my car was hesitating instead of having starting issues.

I had so many red herrings (1. oil in the plug tubes from bad seals, so new plugs and wires along with the new gasket set. 2. corrosion in distributor as well as hesitation when car was warm, so new distributor) but it ended up being my fuel filter (even though I changed it two years ago)

If he tends to run the tank dry, it would not hurt to throw a new filter in if it hasn't been changed in a while.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
What car? Engine? Ecu?

I have had very similar symptoms from 3 different things:

Bad main relay (needed re soldered)

Junk in the gas tank that was getting picked up, especially at lower fuel levels

Dizzy cap contacting the hood: B series CRX with some engine movement and I think the cap was cracked, but it wasnt anything visible. Car would sporadically die and sometimes restart and sometimes not. This problem was what caused me to push my CRX 2/3rds of the way over the Tacoma Narrows bridge in 2002. The problem was fixed by replacing the cap temporarily, and when it started happening again I replaced the engine mounts and the cap and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad, had thensame car forna while info in my build thread but.

98 civic obd2a jumper harness (we even move the harness away before no change)
P06 ecu
Neptune rtp (i tune it myself and didnt have that problem in the 8ish months i had it on that setup, before it was the aem fic for a yr)

Fuel pump and everything primes and clicks so i wouldnt think its a main rely problem.

I told him to let me know when it happens again. But i might just solder some leds to the mainrely to know if everything is clicking over.

Battery is strong when starting.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
its an autozone distributor

swap it out again.

they use shitty cheap ignition modules.

Been going to the same autozone for parts for 10+ years, I know everyone behind the counter. doesnt matter how good their duralast lineup is getting (7/10 chance of oem parts), honda distributors are still garbage from them, completely hit or miss, 2/10 for a really good one.

If you want to verify for sure, swap ICM's between you guys.

Also consider, inside htose crappy distributors, teh wires are generally loose. The connectors should "snap" a bit into palce on teh ICM. sometimes they are loose and wobble around.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Get another dizzy.
Double check RTP board installed into ECU well, double check the data isnt corrupted, and double check for moisture around the ECU and harness at the ECU.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts