Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
found what was draining my battery..!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok.......For about the last month, something has been draining my cars battery overnight. After it came back from my audio dude, he said he's tested everything and it seems to be my alternator. I've done a huge search on google and came up with something called a leaking diode. Basically this is eating 0.20 amps which is a lot by my books. How can I test it its my alternator that's given up the fight........It's no big deal if it is, cause I have another alternator in my garage that can just be bolted into place, but I want to see what it is before I yank it out.

Anyone???

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brand new bosch dry cell...............I had this problem with my other battery as well which I replaced, but in my vw crew cab it keeps it's charge.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup..............with moving the battery to the boot and putting a secondary fuse box up front, we can kill everything one by one.including the Audio.........all of this seems to be pointing to the alternator........guess I'm going to have to yank that sucker out....I'll disconnect the alternator tonight and if the battery is still loaded 2-morro, then I guess that's it......

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol..........I thought I was going to get flamed for that remark, I didn't think that it could be that simple........please let the battery stay loaded or I have to start all over again and trouble shoot........thanks for the input dude.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
a diode is an electrical component that lets electricity pass in one direction but not in the other. My guess is that a "leaking" diode is letting some of it go back in the other direction. It's probably simulating a short somewhere that is slowly draining your battery.

Diodes usually look like a small black cylinder with a silver stripe across them. A wire comes out each end. (LEDs are light emitting diodes- put in electricity one way and it lights up [passes current], hook it up the wrong way and nothing happens)

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
The alternator has diodes in it. Usualy 3 that help regulate how much voltage is being put out. If one of those diodes fail it may only be putting out say 30amps max when it should be charging 80 or so. If this is the case its just not charging the battery fully.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's deff charging the battery, but as for the alternator, I disconnected the bugger last night by the front fuse box and guess what this morning I hook it up again and nothing..............but here's the funny thing..........car didn't want to start the first few turns, it was like there was no starter in the car, no click no whir nothing...........waited a bit and wham.......it started, no struggling no nothing.......I have no idea what the hell is draining the power.........

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wow I have three fucking blocks..........................coooool

I'd like to thank my mum for this moment which is brought to you by pepsi and and and anda.....hehehehe

·
0 Posts
Im having the same problem man, my battery drains in about 7 hours

Could anyone give me a tip on how to find out what wire it is causing the problem?

Ive got one of those testers where if theres power the thing lights up.. and Ive got a multimeter kickin around

My car was recently broken into and they bascially just cut my cd player out and some misc lights and I just tucked them in behind, Ive just been disconnecting my positive everytime I leave the car for more than an hour .

Would really appreciate some help and this guy Im sure appreciated the bump lol

Good luck

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
best way to do it is to hook up a multi meter and pull a fuse one at a time........problem with mine is after I'm pulling all the fuses, it's STILL drawing power.

Thanks for the Bump

·
Banned
939 Posts
See if this helps.

Alternators develop A/C voltage, hence the name. The rectifier converts this A/C voltage to D/C voltage by using diodes to block part of the A/C waveform. The diode has A/C on one side and D/C ground on the other. The output voltage is regulated by a SCR, silicon controled rectifier, which sends the voltage to ground at a preset point very quickly. Just on and off.
If one of the diodes fail, A/C voltage will begin boiling the water out of the battery. Unregulated voltage will do the same.
So, are you losing water?
When the battery dies, what is the resting voltage? If it stops at a multiple of two, then it's generally a shorted cell. If it goes down to near zero, then it's battery drain.
The multimeter test is an ideal way of finding the culprit. If it still drains after removing the fuses, unplug the connecter at the alternator. It may be draining through the rectifier or through the case.

Good luck.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey lule

Well my battery is a brand new bosch dry cell, so leaking water isn't an issue.....

Even if the wire for the alternator is off, it still drains........what's the chance of the starter draining juice?

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Whats the chance of getting a bad battery? I have had many out of parts that fail. Sure the voltage is good but they fail on a load test. Take it to pep boys or autozone they can do a load test for free.

·
Banned
939 Posts
You are going to have a multimeter and measure current draw while lifting wires and pulling fuses.

This is an excellent time to have a Helms manual. The electrical system coverage is spectacular.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, after checking through everything again, I've found that 0.19 amps is pulling through the ignition section of the wiring.

I've converted my car from auto to manual and I removed the solonoids totally from the system and I've checked, they're not drawing power anyway........any ideas???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts