Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the engine is a d15b7

how do I use the parts catalog or FSM to figure out what this doohickey is?

what is this sensor thing called? what is the part number?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Just making sure...presuming that pic is on the right end of the head below the dizzy, the broken part is "ECT Gauge Sending Unit" according to the Helm book, the unbroken part is the "ECT Sensor"

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-parts/1994/honda/civic-hatchback/engine/engine-sub-cord-clamp/?trim=dx&engine=5-speed-manual&part_number=37750ph2014

Not sure which part it is in the blow-up, pretty sure either 15 (37750-PH2-014 / THERMO UNIT (DENSO) or 16 (37760-P00-003 / SWITCH ASSY., THERMO (A-93) (NIPPON THERMOSTAT)

Gut instinct tells me it's 15

** Also, Helm book says apply liquid gasket to threads and only tighten to 6.5lb-ft for the gauge sender fwiw

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Is this going to be one of those noob makes a bunch of threads for the same question and then abandons them all and comes back a week later talking smack type situations?

I'll be watching you!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this going to be one of those noob makes a bunch of threads for the same question and then abandons them all and comes back a week later talking smack type situations?

I'll be watching you!
Yeah it is, fuck you Cali noob!![/joke]

But seriously I thought it was 15 also, but its damn hard to tell the difference on the drawn diagram. The towel is there to protect the mill on the cylinder head, I completely forgot I broke the lil thing until my buddy was like "how'd you break that?"

I'm gonna be ordering a fuel filter so ima order a replacement while I'm at it

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Well, one of those 2 parts is the temp sender for the gauge on the dash, which is the broken part, maybe this merits a trip to the dealer and see if they can ascertain which part you need? Local dealer around here (Mistlin Honda) rapes, as do most walk in stealerships, but they have their uses...have them figure out which part you need, then order it from Majestic or hondapartscheap.com

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^Yep, coolant temp sender probe; those are sooooo easy to break, like what you've got there. I scavaged one off of a burnt head onto a good one once, and even then it was touchy.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I am curious to know, hence my legwork on this, which part number it is though, if it's not asking too much, please post up the results when you find out.

I will have to take my head off pretty soon too, would like to prepare for any "eventualities", judging by the location and input here so far, sounds like there is a pretty good chance one will break it during the hg rnr process...I guess I could carefully remove it before I take the head off

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
I am curious to know, hence my legwork on this, which part number it is though, if it's not asking too much, please post up the results when you find out.

I will have to take my head off pretty soon too, would like to prepare for any "eventualities", judging by the location and input here so far, sounds like there is a pretty good chance one will break it during the hg rnr process...I guess I could carefully remove it before I take the head off
The common way of removing a plug is by pulling and wiggling it. These sensors are so old and face so much abuse that they snap off before you're even able to take the plug off.

All D series heads should have the same sensor, probably the same for Bs too, but can't be sure about that. This is the part number for D series heads: 37750-PH2-014. The bit on the top is what the plug connects to.

Guess where it breaks off. Stupid design.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
So I was right, it is number 15 of the parts blow up I linked. Good to know

If I were to guess, the piece that broke off is still in the connector here too
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

And remember, Helm's book says apply liquid gasket to threads and only tighten to 6.5lb-ft (that is like finger tight lol)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm gonna cross reference the part to other engines, if it is indeed the same part across lots of different engines it'l be easy to find. There's a few y7s/y8s and a LS B18 in my local yard. I need a few other things so I'll probably order it from the dealer anyway, being that those will probably also break when I try to take them apart.

Thanks alot guys you made my life much easier, I was clueless looking at the dealer diagram.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts