Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My builder called me and said that the skunk2 cam is in the head, it is all put together, but the cam wont turn. it wont even budge.....anyone ever had a problem with this?

i dont even thing the cam turns when the head is off of the block......

im so confused and so is he. We called skunk2 a while back because the cam wouldnt clear the head castings on the vtec lobe. they said to grind it out .0020", so we did, torques it all down, and it clears now, yet it wont turn at all.

I need some help here guys. throw out any ideas you might have as to why its doing this.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
f off man......i dont really care how its spelled. i just want to know what the damn problem is. I saw a thread on honda-tech.....it was a b18c1, having the same problems.....someone said the valves might be to tight? i dont see how this could cause the problem, but is this a possibility!!???

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
i think it has to be something with your rocker assembly. If you put up a video i might be able to help further.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
its not the rocker assembly. all rockers were disconnected and the cam still wouldnt turn.......and i dont think a video would really help out. the bottom end turns freely with no problems at all, its the head. just imagine a cam not moving. i cant get a video right now beause i am an hour away from the car. i just need some help.

and its not because the valves are to tight because they were all backed off as well, i just got off the phone with the builder and he confirmed that.

thanks for the idea though, keep them coming!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
cam for the wrong make possibly? Im really out of ideas. Did you lube the cam journels. I know your having it professionally built but if he forgot it would just be your cam grinding on the journel. Sorry man that sucks

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cam for the wrong make possibly? Im really out of ideas. Did you lube the cam journels. I know your having it professionally built but if he forgot it would just be your cam grinding on the journel. Sorry man that sucks
yes, it is for the right make and model......i checked the part number through skunk2 and they sent the spec sheet for my motor with it as well. This cam has been nothing but trouble.....we've had to grind the head to make it fit and now it wont even turn.

and yes, it was all lubed before assembly.

thanks for the help though......

anyone else with ideas please pump them out for me!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well check to make sure its still not hitting the casting, or an improperly installed rocker assembly. Honestly, if your "builder" ran into this problem, and had to call you about it cause they can't figure it out, I'd be pretty suspicious of his ability. What are you even paying for when paying someone else to do it if not to avoid these issues.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well check to make sure its still not hitting the casting, or an improperly installed rocker assembly. Honestly, if your "builder" ran into this problem, and had to call you about it cause they can't figure it out, I'd be pretty suspicious of his ability. What are you even paying for when paying someone else to do it if not to avoid these issues.
this is his first honda.....he build v8's and is a mechanic for a living, but an engine is an engine....and theres nothing special here. I dont want to sit here and discuss my builders abilities.....he called and asked how much research i did on the cam before i bought it, i told him i would try to figure it out. Hes not sitting on his ass right now waiting for an answer from me....hes also trying to figure the problem out. I know he has great abilities so lets leave it at that.

The cam clears the castings.....we are sure of that. that is no longer the issue

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'd look at the rocker assembly. one of the arms could have been drooping or out of position, and he tq'd down the assembly that way. If thats true, inspect the cam for damage as well.
The vtec pin could have locked an arm out of position as well. I'm sure hes not familiar with the vtec assembly if this is his first honda.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so... what was the problem?

what's the specs on that cam
specs....
http://www.skunk2.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=305-05-0100&Category_Code=CAMHON&Product_Count=0

the lift of the cam is comparable to a crower stage 3, but the duration isnt too much over stock

the problem had something to do with the vtec plungers.....??? im not familiar with that as i have never performed work on a head, but that is what my builder said.

but its fixed!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts